Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Looking up hyphenated words in dictionary.

Why can't I look them up? It shoul be able to do compound words at least I believe my old nst did compound word definition but the kobo won't.
masterz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The dictionary lookup does do hyphenated words and compound words. But, the word you are looking for has to be in the dictionary. And it has to be similar enough to what you selected to be found.

As an example, the book I am reading has "walk-in". When I selected that, the dictionary suggested "walkin". A similar thing happened with "bleary-eyed" and "time-consuming". It looks like Merriam-Webster has a different opinion on compound words than the author.

The dictionary will also find non-hyphenated word pairs. From a past look-up, I know that "Buffalo soldier" is in the dictionary.

If you want to check for a word that isn't in a book, you can use the search to do a dictionary look-up. If you do this, it shows the matches in the dictionary for what you are typing. There are some languages that do not allow this due to licensing, but I think French is the only one left like this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The dictionary lookup does do hyphenated words and compound words. But, the word you are looking for has to be in the dictionary. And it has to be similar enough to what you selected to be found.

As an example, the book I am reading has "walk-in". When I selected that, the dictionary suggested "walkin". A similar thing happened with "bleary-eyed" and "time-consuming". It looks like Merriam-Webster has a different opinion on compound words than the author.

The dictionary will also find non-hyphenated word pairs. From a past look-up, I know that "Buffalo soldier" is in the dictionary.

If you want to check for a word that isn't in a book, you can use the search to do a dictionary look-up. If you do this, it shows the matches in the dictionary for what you are typing. There are some languages that do not allow this due to licensing, but I think French is the only one left like this.
Well it doesn't do lapis-lazuli. Looking up the first word only shows lapin, and the second does lazulite not lazuli. The word does exist but it describes a completely diferent coloring than what it truly is.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterz87 View Post
Well it doesn't do lapis-lazuli. Looking up the first word only shows lapin, and the second does lazulite not lazuli. The word does exist but it describes a completely diferent coloring than what it truly is.
Which dictionary are you looking up? You can find "lapis lazuli" in the English definition dictionary.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
As tshering said, "lapis lazuli" is in the English dictionary. If you are looking for "lapis-lazuli", I assume the hyphen is causing the problem. This is a case where hyphenating the compound word is wrong, but the dictionary lookup should have suggested "lapis lazuli" as the nearest match.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #6
masterz87
Connoisseur

I forgot to post again, and the lookup doesn't work. Looking up just lapis(as it's only one or the other) leads you to the word lapin, and lazuli leads you to luzilite. Only the custom dict I got which isth emerrian webter 1913 version leads to lapis lazuli when highlighting lapis or lazuli.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I forgot to post again, and the lookup doesn't work. Looking up just lapis(as it's only one or the other) leads you to the word lapin, and lazuli leads you to luzilite. Only the custom dict I got which isth emerrian webter 1913 version leads to lapis lazuli when highlighting lapis or lazuli.
So what happens if you search for both words together?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote