Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
eMail to my Android tablet's ePub reader

Having settled upon ePub (some years ago) as my go-to format, I did the simple hack to my FireHD8 to make it a standard Android tablet and have been using Google's PlayBooks (website and Android app). However, this two-step process seems a bit complex when Calibre is happy to send (appropriately formatted) mobi to my Kindle address (and, accordingly, have to use the Kindle app).

The trouble is that, more often than is acceptable, Amazon's server takes exception to the books I send and I have to screw around trying to make Amazon happy with my converted book...once, twice or even three times until successful.

So let's say that ePub is where I want to stay and some sort of ePub reader is what I want.

But where does that leave me concerning delivering ePubs to my tablet for reading? On my iPad, I can eMail an ePub from my PC to myself, receive it on the iPad's Mail app, tap on the attachment, and the ePub opens up into iBooks. That works well but the iPad isn't my favorite device.

How should I do this on my Android tablet? I know I can receive eMails with ePub attachments, save the ePub to the Downloads folder, and then open an ePub reader app...but which app would y'all recommend? The PlayBooks app and iBooks work great (IMHO); maybe that helps provide info to those who might be kind enough to respond. Maybe I should simply just stick with PlayBooks?

Thanks,
Barry
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 PM   #2
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
An update on this issue:

While I can't directly eMail an ePub to my PlayBooks account, ePub attachments to eMails sent to me may (on my Android phone or tablet) be tapped and will then upload to my PlayBooks account where, in the PlayBooks app (on any device), the ePub may be tapped and will then download and open up in the app. (It takes longer to explain the process than to actually do it. )

After I've retrieved the ePubs from the eMails and "deposited" them into PlayBooks (using my Android phone/tablet), I can then receive those eMails on my PC for eventual storage in my Calibre library.

As quite a number of my ePubs may be delivered to me in this fashion, it may streamline things and still let me use Google's Playbooks app (which I do like a lot for reading my eBooks) to manage the ePubs on my device and up in my PlayBooks cloud; probably better than manually downloading them where they get copied, willy-nilly, to whatever oddball folder some 3rd-party eBook app prefers.

The above is not a one-step solution but it does seem to move things in that direction.

I'd still entertain alternative suggestions from others' perspectives.

Thanks,
Barry
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert