Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Odd behavior CSS "content" property in kobo devices

Can anybody confirm that an ::after pseudo-element with a content property does not work for kobo devices?
Like:
Code:
.title::after {
  position: absolute;
  content: " . . . . . . . ";
  text-align: right;
}
I have an ebook in which it is used for creating dot trailers/leaders in some table of contents construct, but the dots never show within kobo, while they can be observed in the calibre viewer/editor.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:12 PM   #2
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've got a couple of classes in my standard stylesheet using ::after and don't have any problems with them on my Kobos. I'm not knowledgeable enough on this to give you a solution. But, I worry about your "position: absolute" without specifying actual positions or widths.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 05:01 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Well, I did some investigations and found that of my 20K+ books just about 30 did use the content property, and most of them in the form of:
Code:
.something::after {
  content: " ";
 . . .
}
so you would not see it anyway.

My technical library however made intensive usage of that construct, like:
Code:
section[data-type="titlepage"]:after {
  content: url(../Images/ebook.png);
  bottom: 0;
  max-width: 100%;
}
Placing such a book on my kobo did reveal that the picture did show up on my PC (within calibre), but not on the kobo (=empty space).
Therefore my preliminary conclusion is that kobo ignores the content property. The ::after (and ::before) pseudo-element(s) do work however.

To be complete: the used ebooks were epubs, not kepub.

Last edited by DrChiper; 07-17-2023 at 05:06 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Well, I did some investigations and found that of my 20K+ books just about 30 did use the content property, and most of them in the form of:
Code:
.something::after {
  content: " ";
 . . .
}
so you would not see it anyway.

My technical library however made intensive usage of that construct, like:
Code:
section[data-type="titlepage"]:after {
  content: url(../Images/ebook.png);
  bottom: 0;
  max-width: 100%;
}
Placing such a book on my kobo did reveal that the picture did show up on my PC (within calibre), but not on the kobo (=empty space).
Therefore my preliminary conclusion is that kobo ignores the content property. The ::after (and ::before) pseudo-element(s) do work however.

To be complete: the used ebooks were epubs, not kepub.
Pseudo elements will not work with ePub on a Kobo because the version of RMSDK (ADE) used to read ePub is too old. It should work with KePub.

This is why these eBooks should not be using Pseudo elememnts and should be using spans instead. It's best ti make the ePub as backwards compatible as possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote