Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2024, 11:33 PM   #1
SenorClean
SenorClean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW3, PW4(Bricked)
I think an OTA update bricked my PW4

I hadn't used my PW4 in a while - it was just running stock firmware in the end (but I had previously tinkered a bit).

Now it won't boot past the 'boy under a tree' splash screen, and it doesn't go in to USB mode.
Closest I've seen is when it's dead flat I can see a 'drive' but nothing mounted in it.

Looks like I'm on one of the firmware versions that doesn't allow entering recovery mode from a serial connection anymore(!).
Is there any way to force it to mount the storage so I can manually apply an update?

https://pastebin.com/J4Nhkadj

It'd be a real bummer to send it to landfill over a software issue.
SenorClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 12:52 PM   #2
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PW5
Nope the pw4 and up are completely locked up best bet is contacting Amazon
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2024, 09:18 PM   #3
SenorClean
SenorClean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW3, PW4(Bricked)
Sadly, it is looking like I might be out of options.

Amazon have offered a 15% discount on a new one, but there's currently no stock..
Guess I'll use my trusty PW3 for now, then grab a PW5 or PW6? if it turns up soonish.
SenorClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 06:39 AM   #4
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PW5
Could be behind the door, Amazon got a couple of new things approved by the FCC
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote