Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2024, 11:12 PM   #1
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Big problem with newly arrived Nook glowlight 4 plus

I did order and just received a nook Glowlight 4 plus. But...it does not show up as a USB drive and will not connect to my computer. So I cannot transfer books to the Nook at all. Tried adobe digital edition and it does not show up there either. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I do love the screen and hardware...great buttons. My older ebooks that I had bought previously from Barnes&Noble in the past did download but how do I get some newer books from Kobo etc. Why won't my glowlight 4 plus connect to my computer and is there anything that I can do about it??

I can download ebooks thru wifi and the nook store and read them, but thats all I can do. Am I doing something wrong and if so, can anyone please tell me how I can fix this so that I can move some of my other epubs from calibre to my new Nook?

Last edited by Kaysclie; 06-07-2024 at 09:05 AM. Reason: new information and question
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:06 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What is your operating system? Windows? MacOS? Linux?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2024, 12:26 AM   #3
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My operating system is windows 10 .

In a previous post cgsmom posted that one could manually copy books from Calibre Library folder to the Nook glowlight 4 plus folder using file explorer. Please, advise how this is done.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kaysclie; 06-07-2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:17 AM   #4
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Yes, the Glowlight 4 Plus will not connect as a USB drive. It is extremely frustrating. Calibre can see it but not access it in Windows, but it is my understanding that a Mac running Calibre can access it.

I had Windows 10 when I first got the GL4+ but now I have Windows 11. When I connect the GL4+ it shows up as a drive under "This PC" in file explorer called "BNRV1300". Under that drive is a folder called "Nook". I just copy books to that Nook folder using file explorer and they seem to work just fine.

It is very aggravating but overall I like my GL4+. I love having buttons on both sides and the screen is very crisp and clear. Good luck and I hope that helps.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Forgive me for asking, but when you plugged in the NOOK GlowLight 4 Plus to your Windows 10 computer, did you click "USB Mode" on the NOOK device? This should make a 5 GB drive show up on your computer, and then become visible to Adobe Digital Editions.
See here:https://help.barnesandnoble.com/hc/e...-Your-Computer

Ignore the comments about "micro-USB"--GlowLight 4 Plus uses "USB-C" cables.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2024, 01:17 PM   #6
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
Forgive me for asking, but when you plugged in the NOOK GlowLight 4 Plus to your Windows 10 computer, did you click "USB Mode" on the NOOK device? This should make a 5 GB drive show up on your computer, and then become visible to Adobe Digital Editions.
See here:https://help.barnesandnoble.com/hc/e...-Your-Computer

Ignore the comments about "micro-USB"--GlowLight 4 Plus uses "USB-C" cables.
Have you tried this with the Glowlight 4 Plus? My GlowLight 4e has this dialogue box come up, but not the 4 Plus.
Old 06-07-2024, 03:08 PM   #7
cgsmom
Addict

I copied this text directly out of the Nook Glowlight 4 Plus User Guide:

Transferring Files from Your Computer to Your NOOK
You can transfer files, including EPUB files, PDFs, and photos from
your personal computer to your NOOK.
NOTE : Transferring files from your personal computer to your
NOOK is called “sideloading.”
1. Using the custom USB-C cable provided with your NOOK,
connect your NOOK to your personal computer.
NOTE : Use only the USB-C cable provided with your NOOK.
Using any other cable might damage your NOOK.
2. When you connect your NOOK to your Windows PC, your
NOOK will appear as a new device called “BNRV1300” in
Windows Explorer.
NOTE : If you connect your NOOK to a Windows PC, the PC
might display a dialog box asking if you want to install a driver
for a “NOOK.” Click Cancel to close this dialog box. You do
not need to install a special driver to transfer files to your
NOOK.
3. Drag the files you want to transfer onto the “BNRV1300”
drive.
Old 06-07-2024, 04:25 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One issue there is that the calibre Nook driver works with mounted drives (i.e. E:) and not devices that mount as a device name only.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 06:03 PM   #9
Kaysclie
Addict

Windows Explorer.
NOOK.
drive.

I have tried these steps and they do not work for me. Tried them several times. But thank you for your help. Has anyone had success with Nook glowlight 4 plus on windows ten?
iT SEEMS as though Nook doesn"t want us to be able to sideload or use adobe digital editions.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:39 PM   #10
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Have you tried this with the Glowlight 4 Plus? My GlowLight 4e has this dialogue box come up, but not the 4 Plus.
Yes, I used the NOOK GlowLight 4 Plus on a Mac OS.

I should add that I recall the initial software on the NOOK GL4P created a drive called NOOK without USB Mode prompting on Mac OS Sonoma, Ventura and Monterrey devices.

The software update that it had some time in March 2024 then made it have a USB Mode, if I recall. I sold them, so I cannot confirm that anymore. I apologize.

It is very bad form that the NOOK GL4P only seems to work for Mac OS! I wish I had tried it on a Windows 10 and 11 computer to better answer you.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 07:45 PM   #11
cgsmom
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Windows Explorer.
NOOK.
drive.

I have tried these steps and they do not work for me. Tried them several times. But thank you for your help. Has anyone had success with Nook glowlight 4 plus on windows ten?
iT SEEMS as though Nook doesn"t want us to be able to sideload or use adobe digital editions.
When I first got my GL4+ I had a windows 10 computer that was giving me a lot of trouble. To get it to connect, I had to plug in the Nook and then restart the Nook. It then showed as a drive. I thought it was my computers fault because I didn’t have any problems with my new Windows 11 computer. Sorry that I can’t be more help.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:46 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
There are at least three ways to transfer files over USB. Manufacturers and users confuse and conflate these with inexact terminology.

UMS - USB Mass Storage
This is when a device pretends it is a flash drive. In Windows it gets a drive letter (like G: ). Your device usually can not operate normally and the screen will show a message, "Connected to computer". You can copy a file easily with "copy mobydick.epub G:\". Using this will always require that you "safely disconnect". Corruption of the file system is always possible.

MTP - Media Transfer Protocol
This is a variant of a protocol first used for digital cameras (PTP). Windows (File) Explorer understand its and will show a tree with your device's name in the left pane. You cannot easily transfer any files except with drag-n-drop. Regular desktop applications can not access any device files unless already transferred.

ADB - Android Debug Bridge
ADB is like a superhighway between your device and your desktop. It can carry multiple traffic for different purposes. One of these is transferring files. You can copy a file easily with "adb push mobydick.epub sdcard/Books". Like MTP, regular desktop applications can not directly access device files, but unlike MTP, ADB can easily be automated to transfer or sync files.

I use my own adbsync.exe utility (in my sig) to keep my books updated on multiple devices.
Code:
C:\>adbsync /acsu /s C:\Books sdcard/Books
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 08:00 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
It is very bad form that the NOOK GL4P only seems to work for Mac OS! I wish I had tried it on a Windows 10 and 11 computer to better answer you.
I'm guessing they also work with Linux. I read somewhere that, if you cleared out something in the USB drive (I think in Device Manager) the default USB driver would work. That seemed to indicate some kind of driver conflict in Windows. Sorry I don't have the exact details, I don't use Windows.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 09:10 AM   #14
Kaysclie
Addict

After much fiddling with my Nook Glowlight 4 plus and the instruction provided, I finally got my ebooks to transfer! Now I am very happy with my new Nook. It works great if you follow the instructions completely. Must be in ADE first.

I4. Transfer Ebooks to Your NOOK:
o Right-click the ebook in ADE.
o Click “Show File in Explorer” (Windows) or “Show File in Finder” (Mac).
o Drag the ebook file from the folder that opens to the “My Files” folder on
your NOOK.
5. Disconnect and Enjoy: Safely disconnect your NOOK from your computer. You’ll
find the newly transferred ebook in your NOOK’s Library under “My Files” .
Old 06-08-2024, 11:04 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
After much fiddling with my Nook Glowlight 4 plus and the instruction provided,...
I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm happy you got it working.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote