Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
denlac
denlac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
G'day from Brisbane, Australia

Have recently purchased a Sony PRS 505 from B & H following research from this site which is an excellent resource.

Great service from B & H - purchased on Tuesday and it arrived on Friday. Very satisfied with this model and it has certainly met my expectations.

I am mostly interested in the classics and have downloaded a number of great lrf titles created by forum members.

Hope I can make some contributions to the forums myself as my knowledge in this field increases.

Denis
denlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to the forums!
We're always glad to assist and hope you enjoy you time here on mobileread...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day Mate and welcome to the Forum.

Been to Brisbane a time or two and my wife's an Aussie (Sydney Eastern Subs)
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
G'day Denis,

Depending on what Dymocks does in the next few days, I might be following you down the B&H path (I just have to restrain myself from wandering down their photography path - that way lies madness, and a scary credit card statement). I look forward to hearing your experience with the Sony. Are you intending to buy books as well, or predominantly use it for the free stuff, as I intend?

Anyway, welcome. I've only just arrived myself.

Cheers
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
denlac
denlac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks all for your welcome.

I have now installed the software,connected to the Sony store, claimed my $200 credit and downloaded one classic book. Once having exhausted my credit I don't intend to purchase any additional Sony offerings and of course it is currently not possible without a US credit card.

Being mostly interested in Classic titles, I will looking to Project Gutenberg and these excellent forums for the source of most future downloads.

Marc, with respect to your comments, I have also made previous photographic purchases from B & H and have always found their prices and service to be very good. I am successfully resisting the temptation to buy a Canon 40D. Please give me strength !!

Dymocks currently sell ebooks in pdf format which should be (just ?) readable on the Sony. Titles can also be purchased in .lit which after removal of drm can be converted to lrf.

I can't see the fabled Dymock's reader supporting .lit. It would seem unlikely that a manufacturer would produce a custom model to Dymock's specifications for sale in the very small Australian market. It would also be likely to sell at a higher price point than the PRS 505.

But I look forward to be proven wrong.

Denis
denlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by denlac View Post
Marc, with respect to your comments, I have also made previous photographic purchases from B & H and have always found their prices and service to be very good. I am successfully resisting the temptation to buy a Canon 40D. Please give me strength !!
Sorry, Denis, but I can offer you no help. I am suffering from exactly the same strain on my resistance (the same, right down to that very model).

Quote:
I can't see the fabled Dymock's reader supporting .lit. It would seem unlikely that a manufacturer would produce a custom model to Dymock's specifications for sale in the very small Australian market. It would also be likely to sell at a higher price point than the PRS 505.
I can't see the unknown device supporting .lit either, despite what the SMH article said. Still, if one is as foolish as I, one can hope.

Quote:
But I look forward to be proven wrong.
I always liked that old saying, about an optimist believing we live in the best of all possible worlds, and a pessimist fearing it to be true. Personally, I'm all for division of psyche, and holding multiple points of view at the same time - it keeps all the voices in my head occupied.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote