Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
turnerca
RoxyBlue
turnerca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Calibre companion - Problems connecting

Hi, just purchased CC v 3.4.2 and am having problems trying to connect Nexus 7 tablet using CC to my Calibre library on my PC.

I have followed the instructions, started both the wireless device connection and the content server. Make a note of the ip addresses of both, and entered IP address & port number into CC. No joy - I get:

For wireless using port 9090: failed to connect because the ip address was entered incorrectly (no it wasn't), it was copied exactly from Calibre.

For content server: using port 8080 - cannot find Content Server. Note: The Content Server IP Address has ticked "Use same IP as wireless connections". I get the screen that says neither Wireless Device nor Content Server are running - yes they are, and I also took the option to "Run server automatically when calibre starts".

I have turned my firewall completely off, to see if that helped - no joy.

I did tick "use fixed port".

One thing that I noticed is that my IP address (obtained from running ipconfig) is the same as the Calibre IP address - is that a problem?

My device IP address is different, and is running wireless OK.
If I connect my tablet to PC via USB, I don't see "Send to Device" on Calibre, but Kindle works OK.

On CC, when you enter Calibre's IP Address, I enter it as per Calibre, but where is says Wireless Connect Port - I have tried entering both 8080 and 9090, but still no joy. Should something else go there?

I don't know what else to do now - please help, Calibre is so good, that I really would like it on my tablet.

Many thanks, much appreciated.
Chris
turnerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
First, what operating system do you have on the machine running calibre?

If it is Windows, then what antivirus are you running? Some such as ESET and MalwareBytes are known to cause problems. Also for Windows, did you check item 4 (Network location) described in our FAQ on connecting?

What wireless router are you using? Is it dual-band? If so, are your device and the calibre computer using the same band? If not, are connections allowed between bands? Continuing: does your wireless router support, and enforce, "guest mode"? That is a mode where devices connected wirelessly can see only the internet. They cannot see any other device on the local network.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A good test would be to see if the content server is visible in the device browser. If not, it is a networking/firewall/AV issue.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
turnerca
RoxyBlue
turnerca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[QUOTE=chaley;2905880]First, what operating system do you have on the machine running calibre?

I am running Windows XP, and the antivirus is Avast. I think you are right, the problem lies with the router, I will double check that. Many thanks.
turnerca is offline   Reply With Quote