Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Ref
Ref began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Marking Books as Read

Hi everyone

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong part of the forum.

I have a large number of books which I am loading into Calibre so I can edit names so they appear how I want them to on my kindle. I'm also setting the series they belong to so I can filter for loading onto the kindle itself. One filter I would like to apply is whether I have ever read or recently read the book. There doesn't appear to be anything for this purpose though I have thought I could edit the metadata and use the tags or a rating (of say 1) to mark books as read. Before I do that I was wondering if I had missed a way of doing this or if anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy
Ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Sounds like you want to make a custom column. You can check the Calibre website user guide pages, or someone here will come along. I've never had a need to make one, but I know the option is there.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Create a custom column "Read Status" (or whatever name you like), of type "Yes/No". Then you can check the books you have already read, and sort/search on them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I would recommend creating a column of type "Comma separated text that show in the tag browser". Then you can put dates in it; multiple even, separating them by comma's. So, if you read a book in 2014, and then re-read it in 2016, you can put "2014,2016" in the column. The tag browser will show 1 item for each date.

Adding a "If read column is set" rule, in the "Look and Feel->Column coloring" dialog, you can have an entire row change color if the Read column has at least one value. In my case, each read book is marked in red. (Hah! Pun! )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Ref
Ref began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I'd forgotten I could create custom columns - it's been a while since I watched the how-to videos.

Andy
Ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert