Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Lobotom1
Lobotom1 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
E-ink search dictionary replacement

Hi,

I searched the forum about a way to change the defaults choices of the search tool on the e-ink side of the edge without luck.

I bought a fantastic dictionary but I can't link this dictionary to the search engine on the e-ink side. (the default are search on book, on google, wikipedia and dictionary)

Can someone help ??

Lobotom.
Lobotom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I would like to do that, too. I seem to remember 2 mutually exclusive things: Someone said it couldn't be done, and someone else (Cheyennedonna maybe?) told how to . . . . Which is it??

Welcome to MobileRead, Lobotom1!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Lobotom1

Hi Filark,

I remember a post from the old entourage forum talking about the way to do this. Perhaps I am wrong but I can't find this thread back

I am so sad
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I was hoping someone might immediately know the answer to this question, so I wouldn't have to engage in wild speculation.

Are you interested in searching this program's dictionary? Or are you interested in using the dictionary application instead of the built-in one? The former might be possible, but I'm not sure about the latter.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Lobotom1

Hi,

The basic solution would be to replace the default dictionary as in it's form it is useless.

I read a lot in a foreign language and I would like to allow my "Van dale" dictionary to be searchable directly from the selected words on the e-ink screen.

On the tablet side the search button shows my "van dale" dictionary as a search option. Sad the search from The e-ink side and on the tablet are not linked.
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
You might be able to do this. I was hoping Entourage maybe had an easier way to do it, seeing how it only makes sense that users would want to replace their dictionaries.

Go into your whatever file explorer tool you use. If you venture into /system/esi/etc, you'll notice this is where they keep all the e-ink reader information. Intriguingly, there is a folder named "dictionaries." It's a ".db" file, but I wonder if there is some way to just replace that file with the one from your new dictionary?
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
in order to overwrite this you Edge has to be rooted and do some system trickery.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
what dictionary did you buy? An idea of what files it installs would help
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Lobotom1

Hi,

The dictionary is a translator from Van Dale corporation : (french to dutch and oposite.)

https://vandale.esdnow.com/is-bin/IN...mpTo=OfferList

If needed I can send the apk of the program via e-mail. It woks with a limited searches without the serial code.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I don't know if this would be of any help but over in the Kindle forum there is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131137 which talks about changing dictionaries by having them available and changing the metadata in the book file, might be useful with epub.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Lobotom1

Hi,

I rooted my device and found the dictionary Db file as mentionned by Kennyminot. Can someone tells me where the installed applications are located ?? I can't find my installed dictionary directory.

Lobo.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
yugami
Connoisseur

Off the top of my head I believe it is /data/apps

if your app installed a database it should be in /data/data someplace

Last edited by yugami; 06-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
Lobotom1

Hi,

The /data/ directory is empty.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
yugami
Connoisseur

What are you using to view it? I noticed that Android Commander on my PC doesn't display the data directory but using a shell you see everything fine.

this is where all the installed apps and everything goes, trust me its not empty.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugami View Post
What are you using to view it? I noticed that Android Commander on my PC doesn't display the data directory but using a shell you see everything fine.
PC can see only what's in /sdcard directory.
Quote:
this is where all the installed apps and everything goes,
some refinement: apps installed under /system/app which might or might not depend on shared components under /system/framework and /system/lib.
/data contains data used by apps including the dictionary.
Quote:
trust me its not empty.
that's correct.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote