Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
sidspacewalker
sidspacewalker began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
Kindle Voyage eBook Inconsitency

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from a Kindle 4th Gen to Kindle Voyage. While I'm loving the hardware upgrade, I noticed that my eBooks which are purchased via the Amazon store appear to be perfectly formatted while the eBooks I upload via Calibre or via Amazon's Send to Kindle app have inconsistencies - mainly in line spacing, paragraphing and chapter breaking.

Can anyone explain to me how I can prevent this from happening?

Have a good weekend!
sidspacewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you saying that the same book appears differently on your Voyage depending on whether you send it to the Voyage directly from Amazon, or send it from Calibre?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspacewalker View Post
Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from a Kindle 4th Gen to Kindle Voyage. While I'm loving the hardware upgrade, I noticed that my eBooks which are purchased via the Amazon store appear to be perfectly formatted while the eBooks I upload via Calibre or via Amazon's Send to Kindle app have inconsistencies - mainly in line spacing, paragraphing and chapter breaking.

Can anyone explain to me how I can prevent this from happening?

Have a good weekend!
Where are you getting the eBooks you are uploading via Calibre? What format are they? Are you converting them via Calibre before uploading?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
sidspacewalker

Hey thanks for the response, it's the same books but different sources.

I downloaded Pride and Prejudice from Amazon onto my Kindle and then downloaded a free epub version and uploaded via Calibre.

What I noticed was that the line spacing and formatting was very reader friendly when downloading from Amazon while this was not the case with the converted one.

So ideally, I'd like to know some way to ensure that conversions come out good looking on the Voyage.

Last edited by sidspacewalker; 03-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
sidspacewalker

Hi all I think I found a solution - to use Kindle Voyage as an output profile for the conversion. Apart from images and chapter breaks, this solves the line spacing and font issues.

Anyone got a better approach to this?
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspacewalker View Post
Hi all I think I found a solution - to use Kindle Voyage as an output profile for the conversion. Apart from images and chapter breaks, this solves the line spacing and font issues.

Anyone got a better approach to this?
I don't get how using Kindle as the output profile makes any difference other than reducing images you don't want reduced. What you want for a Voyage is to select the output profile of tablet. The idea of output profiles was to resize larger images. But this is not a good idea anymore. As to how the ePub looks vs the Kindle version depends on how both were made.

Here is an Illustrated version of Pride and Prejudice you can download from MR in ePub.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54795

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2017 at 03:10 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
sidspacewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't get how using Kindle as the output profile makes any difference other than reducing images you don't want reduced. What you want for a Voyage is to select the output profile of tablet. The idea of output profiles was to resize larger images. But this is not a good idea anymore. As to how the ePub looks vs the Kindle version depends on how both were made.

Here is an Illustrated version of Pride and Prejudice you can download from MR in ePub.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54795
Thank you for this

Just FYI - this is what I was seeing - http://imgur.com/a/EMVb6

I'm happy for mods to lock this thread
Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We don't close threads. Other people may wish to contribute to it even when it holds no further interest for you.

Both of the images in your link look fairly reasonable to me. What do you consider to be wrong with the first of them?

Last edited by HarryT; 03-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
sidspacewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We don't close threads. Other people may wish to contribute to it even when it holds no further interest for you.

Both of the images in your link look fairly reasonable to me. What do you consider to be wrong with the first of them?
In the first image you can see the book is not responding to the line spacing options set by my Kindle the same way the book in the second image is. It was driving me nuts.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, I see. That's just down to differences in the books' CSS. Open the book in Calibre's editor and edit the CSS appropriately. Alternatively you can do it by setting the appropriate line-spacing options in Calibre's conversion options (although using the editor gives you a lot more control, of course).

Last edited by HarryT; 03-26-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
sidspacewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, I see. That's just down to differences in the books' CSS. Open the book in Calibre's editor and edit the CSS appropriately. Alternatively you can do it by setting the appropriate line-spacing options in Calibre's conversion options (although using the editor gives you a lot more control, of course).

Hey that sounds awesome. I will look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
kindle, line breaks, voyage