Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #1
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Comparing versions

Is there a tool such that, if one has two versions of the same book, one can tell what the differences are in the versions? I recognize that when a book has been revised, one doesn't know if the newer version will have more or less material, but my understanding is that the primary need here is telling whether two books with slightly different names are actually the same book or not.
tamhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 04:55 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sadly, the best tool for that job is likely to be your Mark One eyeball.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Calibre does actually provide the feature you are asking for. Open the first book in calibre editor, go to file > compare to another book > choose the book you want to compare against.

Edit: Note however that feature probably only going to work for different revisions of the book, by the same publisher. If you have to different copies for the same book published by different publishers, the xhtml filenames are probably different and I don't think the comparison would be of value in this case. Never tried this myself, so you have to test it yourself.

Last edited by capink; 06-09-2024 at 06:19 PM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 06:35 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Calibre does actually provide the feature you are asking for. Open the first book in calibre editor, go to file > compare to another book > choose the book you want to compare against.
It will only work if you have both books in a format that's can read by the calibre book editor- i.e. EPUB or AZW3.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:02 PM   #5
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Or TextDiff PI

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350421

Quote:
Edit: Note however that feature probably only going to work for different revisions of the book, by the same publisher. If you have to different copies for the same book published by different publishers, the xhtml filenames are probably different and I don't think the comparison would be of value in this case. Never tried this myself, so you have to test it yourself.
Unfortunately, that's true.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 10:44 AM   #6
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
It's a bit of a clunky method, but it works... Export each book to .docx and then use Micro$oft Word's Track Changes feature. If you're comparing versions from different publishers, you can do a bit of cleanup and normalization first (e.g., make sure that both books use — (em dash) instead of -- (2 hyphens) or – (en dash); check … (ellipsis) instead of ... (3 periods), etc.).
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:46 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
It's a bit of a clunky method, but it works... Export each book to .docx and then use Micro$oft Word's Track Changes feature. If you're comparing versions from different publishers, you can do a bit of cleanup and normalization first (e.g., make sure that both books use — (em dash) instead of -- (2 hyphens) or – (en dash); check … (ellipsis) instead of ... (3 periods), etc.).
Why Word->Review->Track Changes and not Word->Review->Compare ?

BR
Old 06-11-2024, 07:21 PM   #8
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
TextDiff is fast and accurate, I second this suggestion.

Just select the two books you need to compare, then click the plugin toolbar button!

Last edited by Comfy.n; 06-12-2024 at 03:23 AM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:35 AM   #9
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Why Word->Review->Track Changes and not Word->Review->Compare ?

BR
Um... because I wrote my response quickly and didn't jump into Word to check on the correct verbiage. Oops.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:46 PM   #10
Dal Bhat
Dal Bhat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th Gen
Inserting $ into the company name Microsoft is really quite juvenile and trollish.
Dal Bhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 PM   #11
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal Bhat View Post
Inserting $ into the company name Microsoft is really quite juvenile and trollish.
I'll take that as a bit of a compliment; I'm only enough that I haven't been called "juvenile" in quite some time. As to substance, I'd suggest that when Microsoft (there, see, I didn't use the $ because I'm having a serious conversation) begins to respect its customers by, for example, fixing errors that have existed in its software for years (I recently came across an error that has been reported for more than 15 years!) and which customers have asked to have fixed instead of focusing on new "features" that few want or need or not introducing new workflows that break existing uses (often with no notice or way to revert), then I'll be more inclined to show the company a bit of respect. But for now, like many other large companies, Microsoft seems to prioritize money way above (way, way, way above) customer satisfaction.

But that is a conversation for another thread on another forum.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:19 PM   #12
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I'll catch a ride on this off-topic discussion to vent my recent rant after having a work computer "upgraded" to Win 11. I was expecting big improvements but this was so far from reality... Windows' lack of basic features in corporate environments such as decent File Management, actual Multiple Monitors' and Virtual Desktops' support is beyond frustrating. Of course users can run whatever extra software they want in home computers, some of which can add to the OS those features, however when it comes to workplace that's often not possible due to IT department policies.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:08 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If MS adds high function features to Windows the regulatory authorities come down on them like a ton of bricks at the behest of the 3rd party developers, if a 3rd party developer reverse engineers a MS product the regulators turn a blind eye… or give the 3rd party developer a grant.

I use several Word add-ins, one of which was abandoned in 2016 the other in 2018, they are COM addins written in C++ shipped as DLLs. Not only do they still work in 2024… in one case the Add-in works better (faster and more reliably) than it did in 2018… which one's that… ePUB Tools.

Like all successful businesses making money has always been a major focus for MS; any business where its not a major focus will fail… Q.E.D Apple Mk1.

Large corporations and governments have always been MS's primary targets. I've had lunch "with Gates" three times, at a large Sydney based financial services firm, at a Hong Kong bank, and a large teaching hospital (memorably in a partially dismantled operating theatre). However he has never dropped into my place see me for a cup of tea

BR
Old 06-15-2024, 05:41 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If MS adds high function features to Windows the regulatory authorities come down on them like a ton of bricks at the behest of the 3rd party developers, if a 3rd party developer reverse engineers a MS product the regulators turn a blind eye… or give the 3rd party developer a grant.
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that and also relates to "can the feature /program be turned off" for reasons of privacy, or using an alternative, that might suit better or work better.

Also they deliberately added apis not needed to Win95 so Office 95 would not run on Win3.11/WFWG3.11, even with Win32s. So they then had to upgrade NT 3.5 to NT 3.51, and some got that upgrade free.

NT 4.0 didn't have USB. Except it did via a belated service pack, but MS marketing killed that to boost Win2000 sales. However many waited for XP Sp1 as Win2K was released unfinished (NT 5.0 and NT 5.1).

Win9x was promoted to buisness and had no security. WinME was a disaster.

Now we have Copilot (Clipit/clippy 2.0) and Recall coming.

Outlook (especially the version with Windows) was always a disaster. IE had stupidity built in (I forget, ActiveX or OCX sor something) yet you couldn't disable it. Eventually they lost a court case and Browser choice had to be provided. They have ignored it with Edge.

If Win10 or Win11 isn't a Corporate version you have to go through hoops or use CLI to create local users.

If you replace something on the PC, Wiindows and various office programs may want re-authorised. This may involve a long phone call typing in numbers from screen to keypad and hearing a too fast long code to type on screen.

I sold, installed and gave training and wrote programs for Windows for over 10 years, because the alternatives where either not as good or too expensive (up till 2006). That's not been true now for over 10 years. OS gone slowly downhill on GUI and increased bloat since 2003. Many GUI changes since 2007 stupid. Increasing bloat and removal of little used but important features because telemetry is misunderstood.

I switched completely in Jan 2017. I'd put it off for years, because migration always has pain.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:15 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that and also relates to "can the feature /program be turned off" for reasons of privacy, or using an alternative, that might suit better or work better.

Also they deliberately added apis not needed to Win95 so Office 95 would not run on Win3.11/WFWG3.11, even with Win32s. So they then had to upgrade NT 3.5 to NT 3.51, and some got that upgrade free.

NT 4.0 didn't have USB. Except it did via a belated service pack, but MS marketing killed that to boost Win2000 sales. However many waited for XP Sp1 as Win2K was released unfinished (NT 5.0 and NT 5.1).

Win9x was promoted to buisness and had no security. WinME was a disaster.

Now we have Copilot (Clipit/clippy 2.0) and Recall coming.

Outlook (especially the version with Windows) was always a disaster. IE had stupidity built in (I forget, ActiveX or OCX sor something) yet you couldn't disable it. Eventually they lost a court case and Browser choice had to be provided. They have ignored it with Edge.

If Win10 or Win11 isn't a Corporate version you have to go through hoops or use CLI to create local users.

If you replace something on the PC, Wiindows and various office programs may want re-authorised. This may involve a long phone call typing in numbers from screen to keypad and hearing a too fast long code to type on screen.

I sold, installed and gave training and wrote programs for Windows for over 10 years, because the alternatives where either not as good or too expensive (up till 2006). That's not been true now for over 10 years. OS gone slowly downhill on GUI and increased bloat since 2003. Many GUI changes since 2007 stupid. Increasing bloat and removal of little used but important features because telemetry is misunderstood.

I switched completely in Jan 2017. I'd put it off for years, because migration always has pain.
You forgot Windows 8/8.1 was a disaster because no start menu and no real desktop. When I got a laptop with Windows 8.1 installed, I found a 3rd party program to add the start menu back in and a proper desktop. So thatr made Windows 8.1 work quite well.

Windows 11 works well. It's what I am using now. The problem is that because Microsoft did an Apple and made it so Windows 11 will not run on a lot of computers, Windows 10 is it and when Microsoft discontinues Windows 10, those computers will have to stay on Windows 10, upgrade to Windows 11 via 3rd party hacks or get replaced with a new computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote