Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #1
iamabitbuddha
iamabitbuddha began at the beginning.

Device: None
Errors while uploading Sigil formatted Ebook

Hello,

I used Sigil to format my ebook into epub format. I want the reflow of my content and therefore used Sigil. I'm a total novice in HTML but managed to format using certain html tags. It opens fine in the epub reader but when I uploaded to Draft2Digital platform, it showed me a lot of errors. Like:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning - Invalid Epub: The document you've submitted fails EpubCheck. You may proceed but some sales channels will be disabled. Read your validation errors before proceeding.

Validation for current epub: 0 fatals / 571 errors / 11 warnings / 0 infos

WARNING: Apple, Tolino, OverDrive, Amazon, Bibliotheca, Baker & Taylor, Hoopla, Vivlio, and BorrowBox will be disabled until this epub can pass EPUB version 2.0 rules

ERROR(RSC-005): .tmp.tmpwgfs6k4m.epub/OEBPS.Text.Make it a habit to have more than two options.xhtml(17,249): Error while parsing file: text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")

ERROR(RSC-005): .tmp.tmpwgfs6k4m.epub/OEBPS.Text.Make it a habit to have more than two options.xhtml(21,145): Error while parsing file: text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")

ERROR(RSC-005): .tmp.tmpwgfs6k4m.epub/OEBPS.Text.Make it a habit to have more than two options.xhtml(23,6): Error while parsing file: element "br" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need help/advice on this?

Regards.
iamabitbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Is sounds like your epub has more than a few issues. Try installing java on your machine then install the epubcheck plugin (available in our Plugin Index). The epubcheck plugin requires java.

Then load your epub in Sigil and run the epubcheck plugin.

It will create a validation window with a list of errors it found and make it easier to both see the error message and navigate to the correct place in your code to find and fix them.

In your file named: "Make it a habit to have more than two options.xhtml" there appear to be errors on lines 17 (on or near column 249), line 21 (on or near column 145) and line 23 (on or near column 6), based on the epubcheck 2.0 output you copied above.

A screen shot of those and surrounding lines might help.

Also naming your file something like "Make it a habit to have more than two options.xhtml" is probably not the smartest decision as files with special characters including spaces may not work properly on all e-readers. Simpler is always better. Maybe use Sigil to rename it to something like chapter01.xhtml or some other appropriate simple file name.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-16-2022 at 02:54 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2022, 02:43 AM   #3
iamabitbuddha

Thank you for your quick response Kevin.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #4
iamabitbuddha

How to give multi level ol and ul

Hello

I want to know how to give multi level lists. Eg:

1. Fruits

a) apple
b) mango
c) grapes

2. Vegetables

a) tomato
b) pumpkin
b) broccoli

i) prevents cancer
ii) good for digestion
iii) prevents cancer

3. Fast Food

a) burger
b) chips
b) rolls

Until now I was using the below code which rendered lot of errors as seen in the above post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<ol>

<li>You're stuck in a traffic jam and are going to be late for work. Instead of wallowing in anger or getting nervous, consider how you can make the best of the situation. To begin, ask yourself logically if fuming or fretting is going to accomplish anything. No. So, why not turn on the radio and listen to some music? If you were already listening to one, do your next best.</li>

<p></p>

<ol list-style-type:="a">

<li>The next best option is to look around and observe other people. Seeing other people become agitated can sometimes calm you down. Other options include planning how you will compensate for the time lost in traffic. Make the important calls you were supposed to make after arriving at the office.</li>
<p></p>
<li>Your best friend had planned to go on vacation with you but had to cancel at the last minute. It's frustrating; you can keep feeling that way if you want to. Wait, we are discussing Reframing here.</li>

<br/>

<li>Ask another friend if they are available. If that isn't an option, what is the next best thing that will keep your spirits up? Can you go to your favorite place by yourself? Or should you call another friend? If you decide to call another friend, do not make the mistake of lamenting or backbiting about the friend who canceled the trip. It will only add to the negativity. If calling is not the best option, go to a movie or a spa? Even better, go out and have a bite of your favorite dish. Food certainly aids in the transformation of emotions.</li>

</ol>

<br/>

<li>A close personal relationship comes to an end. You may feel sorry for yourself or resentful of the other person. Is there another option, such as "move on"? Yes, and how?</li>

<br/>

ol {list-style-type: "a"}

<li>First and foremost, please don't beat yourself up for not "moving on" right away after this breakup. It is natural to feel negative, enraged, completely dejected, or even to play the blame game in your head. You may have moments when you miss your ex/best friend.</li>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help with the code (for Sigil) for the entire multi level list. As repeating codes from one point to another didn't work

Regards.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is not a Sigil issue so MR's more general epub forum might be a better place to ask.

But first have you tried googling "multi-level lists in html" or "nested lists in html" or something like that.

You might want to google "css for line spacing" since using empty p tags in the middle of the list for spacing is not ideal.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-17-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Advert
Old 03-17-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Here are two options I came up with. The first uses embedded/nested ordered lists <ol>, the second uses divs <div>. There are some limitations and benefits to each.
However, not all ePub devices/reading apps treat ordered lists like they should and you may run across some that'll make your display ugly. If you use the <div> then you can type in exactly what you want to see.

I second Kevin's aversion to using empty <p> or <br> tags just to create space...that is what your css styling is for.

Ordered List:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <style type="text/css">
    .lvl1 {list-style-type: decimal}
    .lvl2 {list-style-type: lower-alpha}
    .lvl3 {list-style-type: lower-roman}
    .lvl1 li {margin-top:1.5em}
    .lvl2 li {margin-top:.5em}
    .lvl3 li {margin-top:.5em}
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <ol class="lvl1">
   <li>Fruits 
    <ol class="lvl2">
      <li>apple</li>
      <li>mango</li>
      <li>grapes</li>
    </ol>
   </li>

<li>Vegetables
    <ol class="lvl2">
      <li>tomato</li>
      <li>pumpkin</li>
      <li>broccoli
       <ol class="lvl3">
        <li>prevents cancer</li>
        <li>good for digestion</li>
        <li>prevents cancer</li>
       </ol>
      </li>
    </ol>
   </li>

<li>Fast Food
    <ol class="lvl2">    
     <li>burger</li>
     <li>chips</li>
     <li>rolls</li>
    </ol>
   </li>
  </ol>
</body>
</html>

Div:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<head>
  <title></title>
  <style type="text/css">
    p   {margin:0}
    div.lvl1 {margin:1em}
    div.lvl2 {margin:.5em 1em}
    div.lvl3 {margin:.5em 1em}
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <div class="lvl1">
    <p>1. Fruits</p>
    <div class="lvl2">
      <p>a) apple</p>
      <p>b) mango</p>
      <p>c) grapes</p>
    </div>

<p>2. Vegetables</p>
    <div class="lvl2">
      <p>a) tomato</p>
      <p>b) pumpkin</p>
      <p>c) broccoli</p>
      <div class="lvl3">
        <p>i) prevents cancer</p>
        <p>ii) good for digestion</p>
        <p>iii) prevents cancer</p>
      </div>
    </div>

<p>3. Fast Food</p>
    <div class="lvl2">
      <p>a) burger</p>
      <p>b) chips</p>
      <p>c) rolls</p>
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
</html>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ol.png
Views:	126
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	192821   Click image for larger version

Name:	div.png
Views:	125
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	192822  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:25 AM   #7
iamabitbuddha

@Turtle91 your code suggestion worked.

Bless you, KevinH and Turtle91! Thank you so much. it worked!

@KevinH, I had googled for the multi level lists and did apply the code. Although all was good the Sigil popped errors in EPUBcheck. This is what I had added:

<ul>
<li>Line-1</li>
<li>Line-2</li>
<li>Line-3

<p></p>

<ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha; padding-left: 0;">
<li style="margin-left:2em">Sub-Line-1</li>
<li style="margin-left:2em">Sub-Line-2</li>
<li style="margin-left:2em">Sub-Line-3</li>
</ol>

<p></p>

</li>

<li>Line-1</li>
<li>Line-2</li>
<li>Line-3

<p></p>

<ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha; padding-left: 0;">
<li style="margin-left:2em">Sub-Line-1</li>

</ol>

<p></p>

</li>

<li>Line-1</li>
<li>Line-2</li>
<li>Line-3</li>

</ul>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Turtle91 this code below worked and now I don't see errors except the one at the end of this message.

<head>
<title></title>
<style type="text/css">
.lvl1 {list-style-type: decimal}
.lvl2 {list-style-type: lower-alpha}
.lvl3 {list-style-type: lower-roman}
.lvl1 li {margin-top:1.5em}
.lvl2 li {margin-top:.5em}
.lvl3 li {margin-top:.5em}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<ol class="lvl1">
<li>Fruits
<ol class="lvl2">
<li>apple</li>
<li>mango</li>
<li>grapes</li>
</ol>
</li>

<li>Vegetables
<ol class="lvl2">
<li>tomato</li>
<li>pumpkin</li>
<li>broccoli
<ol class="lvl3">
<li>prevents cancer</li>
<li>good for digestion</li>
<li>prevents cancer</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</li>

<li>Fast Food
<ol class="lvl2">
<li>burger</li>
<li>chips</li>
<li>rolls</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</body>
</html>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one code that is still bothering me but does show up in the EPUB check.

<h2 id="sigil_toc_id_75">External things that add to the stress.</h2>

Its every where in my file.

How do I solve this?

Regards.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

We need to see the exact errors from epubcheck
Old 03-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm pretty sure those IDs are created by Sigil when you use the "Generate Table of Contents" function. The first link - if it is near the top of the page simply links to the page itself. If you have more links on the page, or it's further down and not at the top, then the link needs an ID to point to. If you don't provide one manually Sigil generates it for you using the template "sigil_toc_id_#". In your case the link from the .ncx would be:

"<content src="Text/{your sheet name}.xhtml#sigil_toc_id_75"/>

and from an html file would be:

<a href="{your sheet name}.xhtml#sigil_toc_id_75">

You could change them to something else if you really want to, but the user will never see them and they are OK.

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-19-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:09 AM   #10
iamabitbuddha

@Turtle91 Thanks for your inputs

I'll just go with it, as long as the users don't face problems.

Regards!