Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Today, 10:52 AM   #1
foosion
Addict
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Are these sections useful?

In the context of editing commercial books for personal use, there are some sections in epubs (especially in the front before the actual text) that don't seem very useful and often seem more a legacy of paper books.

Why not just delete (or move to the end), so you can get to the actual book faster? Am I missing something?

Title, half title: These typically duplicate information from the cover, which has title and author. Sometimes they include publisher, but you can find that elsewhere.

Inline TOC: The epub TOC seems more useful.

Index: Often lists print page numbers and suggests using search. In any event, search seems better.

Index of maps, illustrations, etc. Perhaps useful, but search could work. If useful I'd move to the end so you can get to useful text faster,

Copyright page: Important, but fine at the end.

Praise: Why bother - I've already decided to get the book.

Other books by author: Move to end or nuke. Can be out of date and if I want more from the author I can search the web.

Next reads and other publisher ads: Nuke.

Introduction: Often useful in non-fiction. In fiction it's seldom useful and can contain spoilers - moving to the end seems best.

Dedication: Almost always more for the author than for me.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
In the context of editing commercial books for personal use, there are some sections in epubs (especially in the front before the actual text) that don't seem very useful and often seem more a legacy of paper books.

Why not just delete (or move to the end), so you can get to the actual book faster? Am I missing something?

Title, half title: These typically duplicate information from the cover, which has title and author. Sometimes they include publisher, but you can find that elsewhere.

Index: Often lists print page numbers and suggests using search. In any event, search seems better.

Index of maps, illustrations, etc. Perhaps useful, but search could work. If useful I'd move to the end so you can get to useful text faster,

Other books by author: Move to end or nuke. Can be out of date and if I want more from the author I can search the web.

Introduction: Often useful in non-fiction. In fiction it's seldom useful and can contain spoilers - moving to the end seems best.

For your own use, you can do whatever you want... although there may be some specific country laws that prevent changing a product, YMMV.

Some like to emulate the print version as closely as possible and tapping a couple extra times to skip those pages isn't a big deal. Obviously, the rules change if you are trying to publish as you need to make all those people/agencies happy.

Personally I nuke most of the extra stuff, but keep things like title page, appendix/index, copyright, about the author, also by, and move them to the back as much as makes sense.

Code:
Cover
-Dedication (out of respect to the author)
-Title
--Intro/epigraph/maps
--Chapters
--epilogue
-appendix/glossary
-index (maybe keep if it provides value added...)
-acknowledgements
-about the author
-also by the author (I like to see next books in the series and click the links)
-copyright
back cover (if it adds anything special)
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
You should use "semantics". Some devices start opening the ebook where you set the semantic "text" (normally, Introduction or Chapter I). Of that way, no matter how much text there is before the place where you set the semantic, the ebook will be open where you want.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #4
foosion
Addict
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
For your own use, you can do whatever you want... although there may be some specific country laws that prevent changing a product, YMMV.

Some like to emulate the print version as closely as possible and tapping a couple extra times to skip those pages isn't a big deal. Obviously, the rules change if you are trying to publish as you need to make all those people/agencies happy.

Personally I nuke most of the extra stuff, but keep things like title page, appendix/index, copyright, about the author, also by, and move them to the back as much as makes sense.

Code:
Cover
-Dedication (out of respect to the author)
-Title
--Intro/epigraph/maps
--Chapters
--epilogue
-appendix/glossary
-index (maybe keep if it provides value added...)
-acknowledgements
-about the author
-also by the author (I like to see next books in the series and click the links)
-copyright
back cover (if it adds anything special)
Part of the reason for asking is to avoid deleting something that my future self might want and part is just to see what others do.

An alternative to deleting/moving could be to add "Start the book" to the top of the TOC and leave things in place.

Also by the author only shows the next books in the series if the epub was published or updated after the next books.

Epigraph and maps are useful, although sometimes maps can be hard to view on an ereader, especially a smaller one. Worth keeping.

I keep acknowledgements and about the author.

I rarely see back covers and can't recall any that weren't ads or praise for the author/book.
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moving past frontmatter is a one-time deal for me when reading. Taking it out is more work for me than leaving it in (on the rare occasion that I edit commercial purchases at all these days).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #6
foosion
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
You should use "semantics". Some devices start opening the ebook where you set the semantic "text" (normally, Introduction or Chapter I). Of that way, no matter how much text there is before the place where you set the semantic, the ebook will be open where you want.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean setting the first entry in the epub TOC to the start (intro or chapter 1) or moving all the front matter to the end or something else?

Last edited by foosion; Today at 01:10 PM.
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #7
foosion
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Moving past frontmatter is a one-time deal for me when reading. Taking it out is more work for me than leaving it in (on the rare occasion that I edit commercial purchases at all these days).
I usually have to do at least a bit of editing to fix margins, font-size and the like, so the marginal effort to delete sections or rearrange the TOC is small. YMMV.
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
In Sigil (similar for Calibre Editor), right click on the file you want to start reading, select semantics, then select “text” or start. If the device/app honors that setting it will open to that page. That’s only good for the first time opening (usually) as the device would normally open to the last point read after that.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean setting the first entry in the epub TOC to the start (intro or chapter 1) or moving all the front matter to the end or something else?
I want to mean what Turtle91 answered to you in the above post
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I delete the 1/2 title, HTML ToC, Index of images and other stuff in the front of the book, praise, list of other books, previews, and adverts. There could be other stuff, but I cannot say off-hand. I do move the Copyright after the title page if need be. Then after all that rubbish is gone, I'll remove all unused CSS. Then I'll add in my CSS. And when I am done editing, I'll remove any unused CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I delete the 1/2 title, HTML ToC, Index of images and other stuff in the front of the book, praise, list of other books, previews, and adverts. There could be other stuff, but I cannot say off-hand. I do move the Copyright after the title page if need be. Then after all that rubbish is gone, I'll remove all unused CSS. Then I'll add in my CSS. And when I am done editing, I'll remove any unused CSS.
I'll have had the book finished (and started the next one) by the time you get all that done.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote