Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #1
ThanosNaranja
ThanosNaranja began at the beginning.

Device: Phone & Tablet
*.docx Graphics conversion

I have a novel with several embedded illustrations and I am wondering about Calibre's image handling abilities. I have converted my doxc source to epub many times, but only recently have I begun to modify the embedded images in Word (2013) with the image formatting tools in MSWord. Things like image fading, transparency, soft edges. Calibre imports the source document and chhurns out an epub that can't be opened. For instance; FBReader Premium says; "No plugin found to open this document with." When I remove all the image formatting the document gets converted to epub and opens with no problem. I assume Calibre doesn't handle docx embedded images that have been altered by MSWord's image formatting effects and I should modify the images before embedding them? Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining! Calibre is a fantastic piece of software and I don't expect it should cater to every nick-knack MS crams into their bloatware - just asking a question. I really need to make donation soon too, but with the pandemic and all, times are tough.
ThanosNaranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use Tablet in Page Settings.
Then Calibre leaves the image unchanged. Which is best.

You DO need to make sure the images make sense in the Wordprocessor for ebooks.

I used to use Word 2002/XP with no problem. About 6 years ago changed to LO Writer. No problem with new documents. I did have some issues with styles, headings and page types on converted documents. Easily sorted.

The docx is best for Calibre rather than odt or doc, so with LO Writer I save an extra copy in docx and edit in odt. Otherwise LO Writer is doing a silent conversion on every open and save if you use docx as the edit format.
Do not re-open a docx saved for Calibre from LO Writer, unless you want to re-check all the styles and links and heading levels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"Things like image fading, transparency, soft edges"

Do that in Adobe photoshop, Paintshop Pro7 or the Gimp. You can even copy and paste the image, but save it in the native image format of the photo editor.

You can only resize in Word / Writer etc. Use a proper image editor for effects.

Also you have to convert all transparency to white for paper or ebooks. Add a white background layer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docx, effects, images