Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Touch PDF support

I thought I'd call out the fact that KT has improved PDF support considerably:
-supports PDF bookmaks and hyperlinks-there is a TOC navigator to jump to bookmarks
-double tap toggles fit-to-width zoom, which automatically scrolls to show whatever is cut off by the ftw zoom. This also works with multi-column layouts: in that case, double tap zooms to fit the column width, after which tap advaces down each column, continues to the next column, then to the next page, while retaining the ftw view mode.

If/when they add back orientation option, that will pretty much fulfill my wish list for PDF support on Kindle. Reflow is problematic, at best a last resort thing IMO.

I notice there is no longer any attribution given to Adobe in the licensing statements. They used to license the Adobe RMSDK just for PDF viewing. Perhaps no longer.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Good to know. Your post is the first positive thing I've seen about PDFs on the Touch.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Good to know. Your post is the first positive thing I've seen about PDFs on the Touch.
Now if only they would add a similar TOC navigator to the regular reader/viewer. Maybe for KF8? kindle Previewer has one after all...

I wonder if any of this PDF goodness is on the K4? Seems likely to be so.

I neglected to mention that PDF viewer now also supports TTS. So if the text is too small tomread, no problem!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Is this true? Can you show us this on a video?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Is this true? Can you show us this on a video?
Judging by how long tomsem has been around here—and the nature of most of his(?) posts during that time... I have absolutely no reason to doubt his description of the Kindle Touch's new PDF capabilities.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Judging by how long tomsem has been around here—and the nature of most of his(?) posts during that time... I have absolutely no reason to doubt his description of the Kindle Touch's new PDF capabilities.
I'm not doubting his word. I just want to see a video. . Because, apparently, anybody else had realized about that until now.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 12-07-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
thebestjeter
Addict

Here's a video showing the Kindle Touch handling PDF files:

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

The video did not demo hyperlink support, but it is there (if you happen to know the hyperlink is there to tap on). Also, when in fit-to-width mode, page turn gestures are more efficient than dragging/panning.

Otherwise a great overview of KT PDF support, including warts.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.