Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2023, 02:16 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Elipsa 2E

Live on Kobo’s US site now: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...psa2E_preorder

Looks like some nice updates to the note taking software. Many new templates and FOLDERS (finally!) I expect a new firmware update before release day on April 19th. I hope the old Elipsa and Sage gets access to those improvements. Now, about the 2E…

From the website:
• New notebook templates
• Folders to stay organized
• Find handwritten notes with Search tool
• Make quick edits with Lasso tool
• Convert handwriting to typed text
• Backed up on the Kobo Cloud

Also:
• Sign in to Dropbox (or Google Drive, coming soon) to easily import documents or export your personal notebooks to share.
• See all your notebooks on kobo.com
• The Kobo Elipsa 2E is compatible with the third-party service Readwise and allows you to sync your annotations to tools like Notion, Roam, Evernote, and more.
• 10.3” E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen
227 PPI, 1404 x 1872 resolution with Dark Mode
• 32 GB of storage
• 2 GHz CPU
• ComfortLight PRO

I’m excited about that Lasso tool. It’s been much needed. Searching handwritten notes is also a big deal. I see that the CPU is a touch faster than the old Elipsa. It’s also 7 grams heavier than the old Elipsa, as well as .5mm shorter and .1mm thinner.

Although the Stylus 2 is included, the 2E is $399 without the case, making it $70 more expensive than the old Elipsa if you opt for the sleep cover (which I would). Since it’s Kobo, not all of the new features are going to be backwards compatible. I suspect the note syncing with third party services as well as Google Drive support will be exclusive to the 2E.

For those of you interested, the Kobo Stylus 2 is compatible with both the Kobo Sage and the original Kobo Elipsa. It sells for $69.99.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-05-2023 at 02:47 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:44 AM   #2
UCCU666
Enthusiast
UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma/Elipsa/Clara 2E/Libra 2, mooInk Plus 2, Pubook Pro 10.3
No 300ppi No Buy
UCCU666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 04:29 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I expect the Sage and original Elipsa will get this FW with folders etc.
So the Elipsa 2, (like Libra 2 for Libra owners) is for people that didn't buy an Elipsa yet.

I have the 300 dpi Sage as well as the 227 dpi Elipsa and unless you've above average sharpness of vision (acuity?) you can't see much difference between 227 dpi and 300 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:33 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
For those of you interested, the Kobo Stylus 2 is compatible with both the Kobo Sage and the original Kobo Elipsa. It sells for $69.99.
Likely that will reduce as MS Surface compatible rechargeable pens are nearly half that price. They are available rechargeable or using AAAA. I've two brands of 3rd party MS Compatible pens. I got one for the Libra 2 as the Kobo/MS stylus pen works on the Sketchpad (doesn't on original Libra, so Libra 2 has the digitizer HW without the note taking).

I think choice is good because the AAAA cell in a cool drawer will last over 10 years and are as cheap as €0.25. I've not had to replace the AAAA cell in any pen yet. Estimated life is 6 months. The rechargeable system is about 300 hours on on 3rd party pens and the rechargeable cell usually isn't replaceable. Similarly smoke & CO2 sensors best with Alkaline and also Electret Microphones.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-05-2023 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:43 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Link on Kobo page for Ireland
https://eu.kobobooks.com/products/ko...paign=Elipsa2E

I'm hoping for the same FW for my Sage and original Elipsa.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-05-2023 at 04:50 AM.
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 04:59 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Likely that will reduce as MS Surface compatible rechargeable pens are nearly half that price. They are available rechargeable or using AAAA. I've two brands of 3rd party MS Compatible pens. I got one for the Libra 2 as the Kobo/MS stylus pen works on the Sketchpad (doesn't on original Libra, so Libra 2 has the digitizer HW without the note taking).

I think choice is good because the AAAA cell in a cool drawer will last over 10 years and are as cheap as €0.25. I've not had to replace the AAAA cell in any pen yet. Estimated life is 6 months. The rechargeable system is about 300 hours on on 3rd party pens and the rechargeable cell usually isn't replaceable. Similarly smoke & CO2 sensors best with Alkaline and also Electret Microphones.

Did Kobo ever reduce the cost of their first stylus? It’s $39.99 now, but I can’t recall what I originally paid for it because it was part of the bundle. Which particular 3rd party styluses do you recommend?

I agree about the AAAA battery life. My original manufacturer batteries lasted forever, perhaps a year or more. I bought two pairs of rechargeable AAAA batteries thinking I’d be swapping them out all the time, and that never turned out to be the case. The stylus runs forever.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:00 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I expect the Sage and original Elipsa will get this FW with folders etc.
So the Elipsa 2, (like Libra 2 for Libra owners) is for people that didn't buy an Elipsa yet.

I have the 300 dpi Sage as well as the 227 dpi Elipsa and unless you've above average sharpness of vision (acuity?) you can't see much difference between 227 dpi and 300 dpi.
The Kobo Aura H2O has a DPi of 265 and really, you cannot see the difference between 265 and 300.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Elipsa 2E

Quote:
Link on Kobo page for Ireland
https://eu.kobobooks.com/products/ko...paign=Elipsa2E

I'm hoping for the same FW for my Sage and original Elipsa.

Same here. I realize in another thread that you stated you didn’t see a need for folders, but I’m quite excited about that upgrade to the software. I found that if advanced notebooks got too long, strange, glitchy behavior began to happen on the edges, and the notebook overall would start to slow down as I was writing. My solution to that was to split each week of my journal off into a separate notebook, so now I have a bunch of them. I’ve been wanting folders for quite some time.

We can probably expect folders to be part of the upgrade for the Elipsa. That seems to be an obvious call. The shinier syncing tech will probably remain exclusive to the 2E. That’s how Kobo has been doing things for the last few years.

And this is pure speculation, but overdrive support used to be exclusive for the top Kobo devices (originally an exclusive for just the Kobo Aura One), but then Dropbox support came along. That became the exclusive feature, and Overdrive became available to all. I wonder if we’ll see Dropbox support become available to all now that there are newer features in this flagship model. The support for it is already in the FW.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:06 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Any chance the Kobo website is wrong with the DPI spec. This article says 300DPI:

https://www.engadget.com/kobo-takes-...8.html?src=rss
Quote:
... The Kobo Elipsa 2E has a 10.3-inch e-ink touchscreen (like its predecessor), but the new model gets a resolution bump to 300ppi. ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:08 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Elipsa 2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Aura H2O has a DPi of 265 and really, you cannot see the difference between 265 and 300.

Some people are all about the specs. Some people can see the difference. When comparing my Elipsa to my Clara HD, I don’t notice the difference unless I specifically look for it.

The 2E not shipping with a higher res screen to match the Kindle Scribe sure leads credence to the rumor that Amazon has a monopoly on the tech by contract.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:11 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Elipsa 2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance the Kobo website is wrong with the DPI spec. This article says 300DPI:

https://www.engadget.com/kobo-takes-...8.html?src=rss

It’s not likely Kobo’s site is wrong, but that’s an interesting tidbit. Didn’t the secret unboxing reveal the DPI wasn’t 300, though? The Irish site also lists the DPI as 227.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:26 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It’s not likely Kobo’s site is wrong, but that’s an interesting tidbit. Didn’t the secret unboxing reveal the DPI wasn’t 300, though? The Irish site also lists the DPI as 227.
Sure I was just hoping against hope that it may be 300 DPI. I'm guessing that none of the review sites are actually measuring DPI, just quoting specs or other sources.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Same here. I realize in another thread that you stated you didn’t see a need for folders, but I’m quite excited about that upgrade to the software.
I'll certainly be happy to use folders for Notebooks to group projects and categories. That will be excellent given that Notebooks don't have all the metadata that ebooks have for sorts & filters in My Books.
Most of the other changes sound good.
So I might be excited depending how good the upgrade is.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #14
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
If you don't think that there is much of a difference between 227 DPI and 300DPI go for it.

I do. I think that Kobo is making a BIG mistake in not releasing this as a 300DPI device. I would have been the first in line if it had the higher resolution. As it it I may end up with a Kindle Scribe and their horrible interface because of this marketing mistake.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
The 2E not shipping with a higher res screen to match the Kindle Scribe sure leads credence to the rumor that Amazon has a monopoly on the tech by contract.
Or there can be other reasons.
The Kindle Voyage was released on 4th November 2014 with a 6-inch, 300 ppi E Ink Carta HD display, which was marginally the highest resolution and contrast available in e-readers at the time. $290 and 1448x1072, but really inferior to the original Kobo (Aura HD) H2O (265 dpi) which was 6.8" and released October 2014! 1440x1080, $179, waterproof and SD card slot. So I bought it. The GUI and features where better than Kindle too.

The Kobo Glo HD 6" 300 dpi was May 2015, so if Amazon had any exclusivity it was only 6 months. $129 1448x1072. The PW3 (Paperwhite 3) 6" 300 dpi was June 2015. I bought it and thought it inferior to the H2O.

No doubt there will be larger Kobo ereaders and a 300 dpi replacement or upgrade of the Elipsa, which might be bigger (7" 300 dpi Libra vs 6.8" original H2O 256 dpi).

Then there is the Nia. My granddaughter is very happy with it. Her dad and her cousin (another granddaughter) both have the Sage.