Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Question Kobo and pre-order books

Hey, was just wondering how Kobo is with pre-order books.

I ask because my experience with Barnes and Noble has really soured me on pre-ordering, it was often the case that upon the release date I'd have to jump through some hoops to get the book I'd paid for already.

The most minimal of which was refreshing the library at random times throughout the day until their servers finally sent it out. And to be clear, I'm not talking about refreshing at 12:01am on the day of release, this would be an issue throughout most of the day. Sometimes I'd need to de-register my Nook to get the pre-order to download.

And while it's easier for me to restore my H2O to where it is now than it was to do the same for my Nook, I'd still rather avoid that.

So in your experience, do pre-order books just work for Kobo? Or would I be better served by waiting for the release date and just buying then?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've never pre-ordered an ebook, I can't see the point -- it isn't like a paper book where they might run out of stock.

But there is one major problem I see with pre-orders from Kobo specifically: They don't show the ebook format for pre-orders, so there doesn't seem to be any way to tell in advance whether you will be getting an ePub or PDF.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well these would be the two new books from the Malazan authors due out in April and May. I'd have to suspect they'll follow the rest of the series and be available as epub.

However I think I'll wait and just get them on release day. It's not like I'm going to read them right away, pesky to-be-read pile and all.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If I remember correctly, Kobo coupon codes - for those books that allow discounting - can't be used on preorders. I've not paid attention to whether they price match on preorders (even to themselves, like Amazon does).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I've only done pre-order a couple of times, but it's never been a problem. Book was usually available for syncing by the time I got up in the morning. I don't recall seeing any posts about issues with pre-orders either.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If I remember correctly, Kobo coupon codes - for those books that allow discounting - can't be used on preorders. I've not paid attention to whether they price match on preorders (even to themselves, like Amazon does).

Kobo does not price match on preorders. I had a book on preorder and found it cheaper at Amazon. They told me that price match didn't apply since I had not purchased the book yet. I cancelled the preorder and ordered it from Amazon. I was afraid Amazon would raise the price when the book was released.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Hey, was just wondering how Kobo is with pre-order books.

And while it's easier for me to restore my H2O to where it is now than it was to do the same for my Nook, I'd still rather avoid that.

So in your experience, do pre-order books just work for Kobo? Or would I be better served by waiting for the release date and just buying then?
I've only purchased 3 ebooks by pre-ordering and each of them appeared as a download in my library on the day of release. I was not checking at 12:01AM though, more like 12:01PM (Pacific time zone). The only issue I've had is that you can't use a coupon on a pre-order. I seldom use WiFi syncing since I prefer to download on my computer, set any desired information (series, cover, metdata, etc.) in Calibre and then sideload to my Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
girlwithabook
girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, iPhone 6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've never pre-ordered an ebook, I can't see the point -- it isn't like a paper book where they might run out of stock.

But there is one major problem I see with pre-orders from Kobo specifically: They don't show the ebook format for pre-orders, so there doesn't seem to be any way to tell in advance whether you will be getting an ePub or PDF.
The format for a preorder book would never be PDF, the only PDFs I've seen on the Kobo site are from Internet Archive, never from the more mainstream publishers. I don't know of any hot new titles from IA .

Even in the weird case of it being a PDF, it would just be available to you on the web for download, to then be sideloaded to your device.
girlwithabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabook View Post
The format for a preorder book would never be PDF, the only PDFs I've seen on the Kobo site are from Internet Archive, never from the more mainstream publishers. I don't know of any hot new titles from IA .

Even in the weird case of it being a PDF, it would just be available to you on the web for download, to then be sideloaded to your device.
Although I don't know if they've added any PDF titles recently, but Kobo has/had plenty of PDF titles from mainstream publishers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I only had one problem with a Kobo pre-order, and that's when they canceled it claiming that there was a problem with my credit card. The one that had worked on all my orders until then and continued to work subsequently, that is. The obvious truth - that Kobo had priced the book too low in error - was not acknowledged. The same claim was made to others who had ordered at that price. Ah, Kobo!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just noticed that some pre-orders do show the book's format on the Kobo website, while others don't.

I don't know why this is, but maybe in some cases the book has already been uploaded by the publisher and is just waiting for release date, while with others the publisher hasn't yet uploaded the book and so the format is unknown.

Edit: Also it seems pre-orders which show the book's format also have a preview option available, but those lacking the format information don't.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-23-2016 at 06:05 AM. Reason: ... pre-orders which show the book's format also have a preview option...
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I only had one problem with a Kobo pre-order, and that's when they canceled it claiming that there was a problem with my credit card. The one that had worked on all my orders until then and continued to work subsequently, that is. The obvious truth - that Kobo had priced the book too low in error - was not acknowledged. The same claim was made to others who had ordered at that price. Ah, Kobo!
Yep, I was one of those you refer to that got particular pre-order books cancelled due to Kobo's own failure to price the book at the right price in the first place!

In general comment ..... there were other books that I've pre-ordered and I've received them without problem. For us in Aus though we have to wait until someone somewhere in some other country determines the date and time of the release, irrespective of the date and time stated when it's due to be released.

So, if the book is due to be released 1 June (for example), then it may not be available for us until very late in the 24 hours of 1 June, or even 2 June.

It makes sense to me that if on the AU site they say it will be released on a certain day, then it should be released at least at commencement of business on that day. Otherwise they should state as part of the pre-release info when it will really be released, because it seems to be a conflict in trading practices to state something and then ignore it.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 04-23-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard

Well I made my first pre-order, just to see how it works. I chose a book that is not eligible for promo codes so I won't be disappointed when Kobo have a 50% sale the day after it is released. And I checked that it is one that shows the format: EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM).

The confirmation email says the book is scheduled to be released on 16 June 2016, but that the date is subject to change.

I see that the book moved up in sales rank after I made my pre-order. That looks like something that could be exploited by sellers, because the pre-order can be cancelled.

I also see there are some books available for pre-order that are not due for release until 2020. I can't see what the publisher is thinking. Would anyone pre-order a book four years in advance?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

That sort of date is used when they know a book will be released but they don't yet have a firm release date. It allows for pre-orders and allows for interest to grow. I'd be surprised if those dates weren't changed for earlier ones within maybe six months time.

Though it has come back to bite the publishers, I'm looking at you 'A Tale of Tales- book 9 of Runelords'.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard

The ebook I pre-ordered was released today, with no problems. My Kobo email receipt arrived a little after 4 p.m. New Zealand time, which is midnight Toronto time

I checked about 1 a.m. and the book was available for sale at Google but still a pre-order at Kobo, Amazon and Apple. Same when I checked again about 10 a.m. By 10 p.m. the book was available for sale everywhere, so it looks like Google is the only one going by the customer's local time and I guess the others are going by US/Canada time.