Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
How to increase the size of the margins?

Hi,

I want to print out and bind about 20 chapters of an exercise book so I can reference them more quickly when training. The problem is, the margins are so small that when I try to bind the pages I lose the first word or two of every line.

Is there a way I can increase the size of the margins using Sigil so I can get around this problem?
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
The only method that might work is to go to the document stylesheet in Sigil's Styles directory and add this code to the very bottom of the stylesheet:

body {
margin-left: 1.5in;
margin-right: 1.5in;
}

Including the above code into the epub CSS should increase left and right margins to 1.5 inches. You can adjust this to your own preference.

Last edited by slowsmile; 01-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
or convert the epub to docx using calibre then you have all the MS word pagination, page numbering, header, footers, and margin control tools available. docx is arguably a better format for generating hard copy pages
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have thought of using Calibre to change the format!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@PKFFW: Also check out Jellby's Prince Calibre plugin, which allows you to generate great-looking PDF files with the external Prince library.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's quite likely the EPUB already has two stylesheets, a short one containing the basic page margins and a longer one containing document-specific stuff. But an EPUB knows little of pagination, so specifing an efficient gutter isn't going to be possible.

I assume you received this document in EPUB format? Creating a document intended for print in this format would be bizzare.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@PKFFW: Also check out Jellby's Prince Calibre plugin, which allows you to generate great-looking PDF files with the external Prince library.
Will do, thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat
I assume you received this document in EPUB format? Creating a document intended for print in this format would be bizzare.
Yes, I purchased it in epub and at the time I didn't really think I might want to quickly and easily reference various pages on a regular basis.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Or just print the ePub to PDF from calibre's epub viewer - click Printer icon and you'll get

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	154281

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2017 at 09:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote