Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 05:30 PM   #31
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I also recommend this and I am not a fan of Westerns generally.

As for the other "any genre" recommendations:

Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, which is a 12 novel sequence about the cultural and military life of mid-20th century. I read all 12 of them over the course of a year and greatly enjoyed them.

Jeff and Ann Vandermeer's massive Big Book of Science Fiction is an excellent anthology of science fiction from 1845 to early 2010s.

I haven't seen anyone say J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings yet so I will toss that out there. ETA: Someone did add that while I was typing...

Any one of my favorite doorstoppers is Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.
I got 1Q84 on my nook its on my TBR list. I am trying to finish up two trilogies ( The passage Series by Justin Cronin and Crescent City by Sarah J Maas) then I want to Jump into Brandon Sanderson. I want to read the Stormlight Archive, also big books, by the end of the year. I want to read A Suitable Boy, 1Q84, 2666, Ordinary Monsters, Jonathan Strange and Dr Norrell but I may not get to those till 2025
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #32
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Shelley Parker-Chan's duology: She who became the sun and He who drowned the world, two books of ~400 pages each.
China in the 1300s with some supernatural elements, about the peasant rebel who became the founder of the Ming dynasty.
When I wrote this I hadn't read the second book yet. I'm midway in it now, and it's very dark and brutal - more than the first one. Still very good, but it's something to be aware of.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:40 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Longest Australian novel ever written, "Poor Fellow My Country," by Xavier Herbert. This is the longest Australian novel ever written at 850,000 words (1,463 pages.)

But...I have yet to read it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:49 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A wonderfully poetic literary novel (that I HAVE read): Miss Macintosh, My Darling, by Marguerite Young. This was recently re-released by Dalky Archive Press.

Another writer I enjoy, but off hand I don't know if they are 800 (or more) pages: William Gaddis. I recommend these two titles: JR and The Recognitions. He, too, is a literary writer, creating prose of the highest quality. Many would classify him (as I do) as an author firmly entrenched in postmodernism. -- Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy literary novels that challenge the status quo.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:04 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Speaking of big books I just noticed I have an ebook with 6,600 pages and one with 23,000 pages. Golden deer classics
Is this a single book or is it a bunch of books in an omnibus? If it is an omnibus, it really doesn't count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 07:44 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Although 'only' 728 pages [PDF version], The House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski, might be of interest.

I have not read this one.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:24 PM   #37
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it is an omnibus, it really doesn't count.
Why not? It’s a book.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Why not? It’s a book.
That (IMHO) is cheating. It should be a single book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:58 PM   #39
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Is this a single book or is it a bunch of books in an omnibus? If it is an omnibus, it really doesn't count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Why not? It’s a book.
Quote:
That (IMHO) is cheating. It should be a single book.
But you were chastizing the OP, who gets to set the context of the thread. If the OP welcomes omnibus suggestions, that is their call, not yours.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:27 AM   #40
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is an IMHO?
Old 05-18-2024, 09:28 AM   #41
HLS
Wizard

Omnibus counts in my opinion
Old 05-18-2024, 09:30 AM   #42
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

Actually it does count especially if can be bought as a physical book. B&N has a few such as the Foundation series in one book. its expensive but they have it.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:47 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
What is an IMHO?
IMHO = in my humble opinion.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
IMHO = in my humble opinion.
Or In My Honest Opinion.

Which begs the question, in the posts where they don't add "IMHO", are they not being humble or being dishonest?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:04 PM   #45
HLS
Wizard

B&N has a 1368 page bible. Its gorgeous. I am on the fence on getting it. Good price for a bible tho

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hol...=9781435167933