Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Oasis 3 vs. Kobo Forma?

I have an Oasis 3 and there are things I love and a few I do not. The ones that I do not like, which I think the Forma would solve for me, are the form factor of the case and the page-turn buttons. On the Oasis I find the "ergonomic" design to be personally very unwieldy for me especially if it is housed within its case. I find that the Oasis' page turn buttons, again for me, are just a little difficult to quickly find unless I keep my fingers on them. But what I absolutely LOVE about the Oasis 3 is the front light that can be adjusted for Brightness and for Warmth. When reading in a darker room you can adjust these controls so as to give a sort of amber, golden background to the page. I would not want to lose this feature. Now on the Kobo site it shows a streaming video of the Forma. At 42 seconds into that video it shows the lighted screen with that sort of golden glow. But the video of the Aura ONE limited edition which is a little more money and is specced with the same screen does not show this effect in its video. Can someone, please, who maybe has seen both units, tell me if the Oasis 3 and the Kobo Forma screens are the same as in this coloration? And does the Kobo automagically adjust or do you, as on the Oasis 3, have access to one slider control for brightness and another for warmth? And, as the Aura Limited Edition is only about $30 more -- is that the same in screen as the Forma? If I decide to go with the Forma I am going to gift my Oasis 3 to one of my daughters. Oh, also, just in case: Anyone familiar with Kobo's return policies when the reason is the unit is working great but you do not want it after using it? Thanks so much!!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Spoiler:
I have an Oasis 3 and there are things I love and a few I do not. The ones that I do not like, which I think the Forma would solve for me, are the form factor of the case and the page-turn buttons. On the Oasis I find the "ergonomic" design to be personally very unwieldy for me especially if it is housed within its case. I find that the Oasis' page turn buttons, again for me, are just a little difficult to quickly find unless I keep my fingers on them. But what I absolutely LOVE about the Oasis 3 is the front light that can be adjusted for Brightness and for Warmth. When reading in a darker room you can adjust these controls so as to give a sort of amber, golden background to the page. I would not want to lose this feature. Now on the Kobo site it shows a streaming video of the Forma. At 42 seconds into that video it shows the lighted screen with that sort of golden glow. But the video of the Aura ONE limited edition which is a little more money and is specced with the same screen does not show this effect in its video. Can someone, please, who maybe has seen both units, tell me if the Oasis 3 and the Kobo Forma screens are the same as in this coloration? And does the Kobo automagically adjust or do you, as on the Oasis 3, have access to one slider control for brightness and another for warmth? And, as the Aura Limited Edition is only about $30 more -- is that the same in screen as the Forma? If I decide to go with the Forma I am going to gift my Oasis 3 to one of my daughters. Oh, also, just in case: Anyone familiar with Kobo's return policies when the reason is the unit is working great but you do not want it after using it? Thanks so much!!
Kobo has two sliders for warmth and brightness, just like a Kindle. I don't have a Forma, but I do have a Libra and its frontlight is very similar to the Oasis 3.

BTW, the Forma is actually a newer and better model than the Aura One. I suspect the Forma's frontlight is also better. But the form factor of the Forma is similar to the Oasis 3, so if you don't like that, you might not like the Forma either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo has two sliders for warmth and brightness, just like a Kindle. I don't have a Forma, but I do have a Libra and its frontlight is very similar to the Oasis 3.

BTW, the Forma is actually a newer and better model than the Aura One. I suspect the Forma's frontlight is also better. But the form factor of the Forma is similar to the Oasis 3, so if you don't like that, you might not like the Forma either.
Thanks, Sirtel. What is really most annoying to me on the Oasis is the way the case is thicker and rounded up under the buttons. It is billed as being easier to hold. It is if you do not use the case/cover. But with the Amazon (at least) case/cover I find it to be a problem. Because the cover, when opened, wraps around to the back of the Oasis and actually covers the ergonomic shelf and you wind up with a flat back but one that is heavier on one side and sometimes the cover moves a bit. The Forma seems to have a flat back with or without the cover and so, I think, would feel more comfortable in my personal grip. It is basically the ergonomic shape, I guess, that I do not like. (And yep I realize it is probably loved by most Oasis owners. I am just an outlier on the bell curve there!)

Thanks for your help! I notice Calibre has a button on top for the Kobo so can I assume that sideloading books is as easy?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Thanks for your help! I notice Calibre has a button on top for the Kobo so can I assume that sideloading books is as easy?
Yes, very easy. You can choose whether you want a book in the epub format or the kepub (that's the native format of Kobo). Both formats have their pluses and minuses, but sideloading is equally easy for both.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:14 AM   #5
Neil
Addict

Thanks, Sirtel! I'll decide in a week or two and having this info helps a lot.
Advert

Tags
forma, front light, oasis