Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Question Simple plain TXT reader for Palm OS 3.5?

I'm looking for a simple ASCII TXT file reader for my old Visor Platinum, which has Palm OS 3.5.2H1.5.

It'll only be needed for really small files that aren't worth the bother to convert to some other format, which even with compression make them larger than the original TXT.

CardTXT .70 won't do as it requires Palm OS 4 or later. I've found references to two or three Palm apps that read TXT, but they also read a bunch of other format or they automatically convert TXT to their own format. (I have TealDoc for reading Teal and PalmDoc formats.)

What's so bloody hard about just writing a Palm app that does one thing, opening and displaying the most dead-simple electronic file format, ASCII TXT? It doesn't need to do it with pretty fonts or any other gee-whiz stuff.

I'll even toss out a name for the app, OTP-TXT. OTP is for One Trick Pony. Anyone who wants to write a simple TXT only reader for Palm is welcome to use the name, as long as you swear an oath that ASCII TXT is all One Trick Pony will ever do. (Otherwise it'd become Two Trick Pony... or Thirty-Two Trick Pony.)
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
bizzybody, I can think of a couple of OS 3.5-compatible e-book apps natively supporting plaintext:
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If the files aren't too long, you can just open them in the built-in Memo application, but you're probably looking for something to handle bigger files than that handles.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
sjaves
sjaves began at the beginning.

TealDoc reads plain .txt files. For details download the latest manual at tealpoint.com

Steve
sjaves is offline   Reply With Quote