Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
ekarahman
ekarahman began at the beginning.

Device: LG-Google Nexus 4
DIR-685 as storage for Calibre Companion ?

I was using my DIR-685 as a sharing storage from my laptop and my android. With Server Message Block feature of its storage router I can access my attached hard drive from my laptop without special tool, and I used ES File Explorer File Manager from my Android.
Now I put my calibre library in DIR-685, and I wonder, can Calibre Companion access my library directly without content server like Calibre Library, so I don't have to turn on my laptop ?
ekarahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi ekarahman, welcome to MobileRead!

We have a special subforum for all Calibre-related questions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

I'm sure you will get an helpful answer if you repeat your question there!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post in the correct forum.

Your thread has now been moved to our calibre forum.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with our site.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekarahman View Post
I was using my DIR-685 as a sharing storage from my laptop and my android. With Server Message Block feature of its storage router I can access my attached hard drive from my laptop without special tool, and I used ES File Explorer File Manager from my Android.
Now I put my calibre library in DIR-685, and I wonder, can Calibre Companion access my library directly without content server like Calibre Library, so I don't have to turn on my laptop ?
NO

Network filesystems are NOT supported and your Library is at risk if you use one for other than a backup.

Calibre companion interacts with Calibre Content Server, so again,
No.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekarahman View Post
I wonder, can Calibre Companion access my library directly without content server like Calibre Library, so I don't have to turn on my laptop ?
No. Calibre Companion can either connect to your library via the content server running on another machine or wirelessly as a device directly to the computer running calibre.

If your Nexus has enough room you could transfer your entire library to your phone. Once transferred to your phone there wouldn't be a need to have your laptop running.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert