Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 vs alternatives

I am considering buying a Pocketbook Inkpad 3, but at the same I am evaluating other options.

I'm coming from a Kobo Glo and I would like a larger device that I can use both for ePubs and for academic PDFs.

Thus I am ruling out large 10+" devices since I don't think they are very practical for long reading sessions, but I see them more for note taking and reading PDFs without using a PC or a tablet.

So I'm restricting the field to 7.8"- 8" ereaders.

In my country, in the price range 220-229 I can buy the following devices:
- Pocketbook Inkbook 3
- Likebook Mars
- Kobo Aura One (new from a couple of retailers).

Personale usage notes:
- I will sideload all of my ebooks with Calibre;
- I will plan to read many PDFs on my future ereader (e.g. 2 hours per day)
- I'm fine with installing KOreader.

In your experience / knowledge, which device is better for my use case?
And which alternatives I'm ignoring in the same price range?

Thank you!

Last edited by Future Science; 06-11-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Future Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Science View Post
I am considering buying a Pocketbook Inkpad 3, but at the same I am evaluating other options.

I'm coming from a Kobo Glo and I would like a larger device that I can use both for ePubs and for academic PDFs.

Thus I am ruling out large 10+" devices since I don't think they are very practical for long reading sessions, but I see them more for note taking and reading PDFs without using a PC or a tablet.

So I'm restricting the field to 7.8"- 8" ereaders.

In my country, in the price range 220-229 I can buy the following devices:
- Pocketbook Inkbook 3
- Likebook Mars
- Kobo Aura One (new from a couple of retailers).

Personale usage notes:
- I will sideload all of my ebooks with Calibre;
- I will plan to read many PDFs on my future ereader (e.g. 2 hours per day)
- I'm fine with installing KOreader.

In your experience / knowledge, which device is better for my use case?
And which alternatives I'm ignoring in the same price range?

Thank you!
Hi
- I used all 3 devices and would definitely choose an inkpad.
- Kobo is a good device, but not a PDF.
- Likebok mars is a bit harder than Inkpad, it has wider edges, but it has an android, which can more benefits.

Inkpad 3 has excellent screen and contrast, excellent explorer folder, battery lasts much longer and has a physical buttones, better in hand. Of course, compatible with the Koreader.
* But I believe that with Likebook Mars is still a good choice.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 06-11-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Hi
- Likebok mars is a bit harder than Inkpad, it has wider edges, but it has an android, which can more benefits.

Inkpad 3 has excellent screen and contrast, excellent explorer folder, battery lasts much longer and has a physical buttones, better in hand. Of course, compatible with the Koreader.
* But I believe that with Likebook Mars is still a good choice.
Which one do you prefer in terms of software?

And which one gave you the best experience with PDFs?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Hi

...[/I]
I'm happy with Kobo Aura One and its pdf reading capabilities, after installing Koreader and Plato readers thereon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=216960
https://github.com/koreader/koreader

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ighlight=plato
https://github.com/baskerville/plato.../doc/MANUAL.md

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Science View Post
Which one do you prefer in terms of software?

And which one gave you the best experience with PDFs?

- For PDF and software : Likebook
- But Inkapd 3 with the buttons is more comfortable. (Of course he knows how to reflow and everything.)
* Purely software, I would say Likebook, even though I prefer Inkpad (but it's just a personal preference).

- With reader Likebook, you can download third-party software (from GooglePlay) to use the PDF, it's a big advantage over the Inkpad. It also has the ability to adjust the contrast. ( what is very practical for scanned PDF)

- If you prefer to write with a pen, Likebook@Muse can be a good choice. With more clean screen. But Likebook Mars is cheaper and practically the same thing.
* When you compare all the pros and cons, Likebook Mars is a little better gets for both the PDF and the software .

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 06-11-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Future Science

Quote:
- For PDF and software : Likebook
- But Inkapd 3 with the buttons is more comfortable. (Of course he knows how to reflow and everything.)
* Purely software, I would say Likebook, even though I prefer Inkpad (but it's just a personal preference).

- With reader Likebook, you can download third-party software (from GooglePlay) to use the PDF, it's a big advantage over the Inkpad. It also has the ability to adjust the contrast. ( what is very practical for scanned PDF)

- If you prefer to write with a pen, Likebook@Muse can be a good choice. With more clean screen. But Likebook Mars is cheaper and practically the same thing.
* When you compare all the pros and cons, Likebook Mars is a little better gets for both the PDF and the software .
Thank you for your detailed answer!