Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Problem cleaning book from device library

I have a badly-formatted epub I was setting out to reformat, and I've struck a problem.

I loaded the epub as it was onto my Aura HD, and proofread it (marking items to be corrected with Highlights); when I'd finished proofing I paged through the book using the highlights to correct my working copy on my PC, then deleted the copy from my Kobo with the Library menu options.

Then I finished formatting the ePub, and copied it onto my Aura HD to visually check the formatting. I'll note that the book opens and works fine on my PC in both ADE and Sigil. (I don't use Calibre.)

But I believe there may be a problem on my Kobo, for a couple of reasons:

1) The tile for the book on my home page shows it as having 4 bookmarks and 29 highlights. This is not true of this new copy, which is completely clean, but was true of the previous copy I was using to proofread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this points to a problem with the library database on my device.

2) When I open this book, as soon as I try to turn a page the book closes and reverts to the home page, and both the tile for the book and the library entry now show the book as Finished. I've tried marking the book as Unread, and opening it, and the same thing happens; I've tried deleting the book, rebooting my Kobo, adding the book again (sideloading) and opening it, and still the same thing happens.

Just to be clear, yes I do the right thing by stopping the USB connection before detaching my Kobo from my PC.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on what's going on, and especially on how to fix it.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What you describe is typical behaviour if you reformat the epub and replaced the version on the device without deleting it first. It usually means the internal file structure or TOC have changed. But, if you deleted the book, it should have been removed from the database. If it wasn't, it probably means the database is corrupt. You can test it using my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre or any SQLite browsing tool.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks David, but I don't use Calibre. You appear to have confirmed what I assumed - that the book wasn't correctly removed when I deleted it.

So, how do I repair the database? I'm not a coder and have no experience with SQL.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, you can't repair the database. You can only get the device to create a new one. The simplist way of doing that is to log off on the the device. It will reboot, create a new database and take you through the basic setup.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser

Thanks again, David. As it turns out, I took a chance and let my Aura HD upgrade to f/w 3.2, and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm a bit concerned that it happened at all, but I guess these things happen. (?) I know I've always been careful to ensure I let the Kobo finish a process before I do something else with it, specifically to try to avoid this sort of thing happening.

Ah well ... all good plans of mice and men ... (I'm quoting that cause I got Burned, obviously.)
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Ah well ... all good plans of mice and men ... (I'm quoting that cause I got Burned, obviously.)
Cruel and unusual punishment!

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote