Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
azw to epub conversion failure

hello, could you plz help me with the following:

- i'm on Ubuntu 12.04, using Calibre 1.0.0 (plus latest DeDRM plugins 6.0.7) + Wine 1.6 with Active Python (Windows x86 MSI Installer replacing previously installed ActivePython-2.7.2.5-win32-x86) + pycrypto-2.1.0.win32-py2.7.exe.

- 'azw to epub' conversion no longer works ('azw' to 'azw3' or 'mobi' doesn't either, while 'azw3' to 'epub' works). Replacing Active Python 2.7.2 with 2.7.5 was a waste of time.

- i tried the usual routine: uninstall + re-install everything + de-register and re-register Kindle for Windows, to no avail.

- i'm attaching the conversion log the pops up about 2 seconds after hitting the conversion button on Calibre, if it helps.

potential bug? plz let me know if you need more info. thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre conversion log.txt (3.6 KB, 249 views)
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
According to that error message the file you are trying to convert is DRMed. DRMed files cannot be converted, unless you remove the DRM first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Thanks kovidgoyal. Here's what I forgot to add to my original query: three years ago I went into a shop and bought a Sony e-reader PRS-650. I only run Linux operating systems on my machines, and make use of Linux-compatible software to get things done the way someone using either Microsoft or Apple products would do. Normally I buy ebooks online, download them on my machine, and read them on my Sony. This is a perfectly legal and legitimate process in the country where I live. Now, I don't care about DRM, what it is, what it represents, and whose interests it protects. I've simply bought a book and now I can't read it. Can someone please help me read this book? I'd be really grateful. My eyes are bad and can't read it on a back-lit screen. Thank you in advance.
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre cannot handle books that are DRM protected. Unless you can find a way to remove the DRM then Calibre cannot convert the book.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
The standard response here is to Google apprentice Alf and see what you might find.
I caution you though, we cant provide any help here at all with his tools, you need to ask where you find them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
This is a perfectly legal and legitimate process in the country where I live. Now, I don't care about DRM, what it is, what it represents, and whose interests it protects.
You misunderstood Kovid's response, he simply stated it was DRM protected. Calibre can't convert books protected by DRM. The line where Kovid talks about legal reasons is his forum signature and is at the end of every post he makes.

Quote:
I've simply bought a book and now I can't read it. Can someone please help me read this book? I'd be really grateful.
As others have stated detailed instructions on how to remove DRM is not permitted on this forum and you need to remove the DRM from your book before calibre can convert it. You'll have to ask for help on DRM removal from the site where you obtained the tools plugin.

Quote:
My eyes are bad and can't read it on a back-lit screen. Thank you in advance.
My experience: My 54 year old eyes are very sensitive to back-lit screens (more so since Lasik surgery) about a year ago I purchased a Nexus 7 and to my surprise I discovered that by using the right theme in Moon+ Reader (and its ability to lower the brightness of the screen) I was able to read comfortably for hours without eye strain. Computer screens still give me fits but I moved from my Sony PRS-950 eInk reader as my main reader to my Nexus 7 and never looked back.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote