Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 06:14 PM   #1
Barlow
Barlow began at the beginning.

Device: none
False positive?

I just downloaded the new version of Sigil for Windows (Sigil-2.3.1-Windows-x64-Setup) directly from the official website, before installing it I checked it with VirusTotal and I got a Bkav Pro alert.
Then I downloaded the previous version (Sigil-2.3.0-Windows-x64-Setup) and I didn't get any alert when I checked it. Is it a false positive or a corrupted file?
The VT links are:
Here the alert is shown
Version 2.3.0
Ps. Sorry if this is not the place to ask this question, I am new to everything related to forums .

Last edited by Barlow; Today at 06:17 PM.
Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's a false positive. If you're concerned, install Sigil using winget (built into Windows) or Chocolatey. They use the official Sigil installers, but they do their own scanning and vetting. Windows lends a lot of trust to programs installed via those methods.

From an admin prompt (install for all users):
winget install -e --id Sigil-Ebook.Sigil --scope machine

Or to install for only the current user (no admin needed):
winget install -e --id Sigil-Ebook.Sigil --scope user

Sigil 2.3.1 has passed winget and Chocolatey's anti-malware scans with no problems.

They both also verify checksums before installing to make sure packages have not been altered since they were uploaded.

NOTE: not sure why Bkav Pro changed their mind from when Chocolatey tested v2.3.1
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...b32-1725813282

To be thorough... the Sigil-2.3.1-Windows-x64-Setup.exe binary on Github (where the sigil-ebook.com website's download buttons point to) is the same binary that I uploaded on Sep 6. I always save a local sha256 checksum just in case both the binary asset AND the uploaded checksum file should ever become compromised.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 07:21 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears that Bkav Pro does not have a very good track record at all with its heuristic W32.AIDetectMalware detections.
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #4
Barlow
Barlow began at the beginning.

Device: none
I see, thank you very much for clearing up the doubt!
Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:41 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Also keep in mind that one positive out of 68 checks is almost always indicative of a false positive.
Advert
Old Today, 07:54 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Welcome to the forum, by the way. You found the exact right spot to ask your question!