Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
vikischeldrup
vikischeldrup began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE Fire 7 HD
Changed Computer to Win 7, Kindle Fire7HD no longer recognized

Making me a little crazy - My Kindle Fire 7 HD used to be recognized by my computer. I have Calibre and could add books whenever I wanted. I was unable to use computer for a few months (4) due to health and upgraded to Win. 7 when I got back on. Kindle is no longer recognized. Unknown device is what it says in Device Manager. USB port works with Iphone, cable works for charging but not data exchange. Kindle cable. I'm frustrated and stumped. I've downloaded Drivers and APD. Device manager says drivers current. Did Kindle come out with a new update in the last 4 months? That is the only reason I can see why the same kindle won't work on PC. Not real savvy about PC's and not real patient with this Kindle issue (have been exploring fixes for about 3 weeks now.) Could someone point me to the right thread or something that will work?
vikischeldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
If you can get the Calibre Companion app installed on your Fire, you can load books wirelessly from Calibre to your device. (The app is not free, but it's worth the small price).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikischeldrup View Post
Making me a little crazy - My Kindle Fire 7 HD used to be recognized by my computer. I have Calibre and could add books whenever I wanted. I was unable to use computer for a few months (4) due to health and upgraded to Win. 7 when I got back on. Kindle is no longer recognized. Unknown device is what it says in Device Manager. USB port works with Iphone, cable works for charging but not data exchange. Kindle cable. I'm frustrated and stumped. I've downloaded Drivers and APD. Device manager says drivers current. Did Kindle come out with a new update in the last 4 months? That is the only reason I can see why the same kindle won't work on PC. Not real savvy about PC's and not real patient with this Kindle issue (have been exploring fixes for about 3 weeks now.) Could someone point me to the right thread or something that will work?
I've heard that some Kindle Fires are picky about the cable you use for data connection. You said you used a Kindle cable but is it the one that came with the Fire HD7? If not, try the original Fire cable.

I think support for Windows 7 has now been suspended by Microsoft. So if this is a driver issue you will likely have to do a manual search for the proper driver and install it. That can be tricky with Windows as it tends to want to overwrite older drivers even if they work. Use Google if necessary to search for a solution.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #4
BZee2
BZee2 doesn't litterBZee2 doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite 1 and 4 & Fire 7 HDX
I'd call Kindle support: 1-866-321-8851
BZee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs up Very Useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If you can get the Calibre Companion app installed on your Fire, you can load books wirelessly from Calibre to your device. (The app is not free, but it's worth the small price).
I also have a lot of success using Calibre Companion instead of side loading on my Kindle Fire HD7. It is available to download and use a limited version for free, then upgrade to the paid version if necessary. The cost is small, and worth it for access to my ebook library.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
vikischeldrup
vikischeldrup began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE Fire 7 HD
Thank you all! I will try Calibre companion. I have ordered a new kindle cable. We'll see!
Viki
vikischeldrup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre issues?, kindle fire 7hd, usb issues, win 7 issues?