Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Favorite Star Wars Novels?

I read on Facebook that Paul S. Kemp will be writing a new Star Wars Expanded Universe novel about Darth Vader and Palpatine/Sidious. (Due out May 2015 IIRC.) As I have a little Darth Sidious action figure next to my desk lamp at work, that makes me happy.

That also got me excited about what other Star Wars novels are out there. I tried to read some of the most recent ones that took place after the original movies, but they were part of a long, convoluted series involving a war with some new aliens, so I didn't get far. In fact, many of the books belong to extended mini-series. For some reason, I never got into the original Zahn SW books (the Thrawn books), which I know people love. I might rectify that...

From the reviews I've read, I'm dubious about reading quite a few of the titles. But I know the Star Wars novels range from "OMG never let that person near Star Wars again..." to "Ooh, ooh, you should read this even if you hate media fiction!"

So what Star Wars books would you recommend? Especially to someone who wants to plunge into the universe again, but doesn't really want to read a 20-volume Extended Universe miniseries?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Brian Daley's Han Solo novels are the best, IMPO. I will admit that I've not really kept up with the Star Wars novels over the last 15 to 20 years though. I believe they released much of the Star Wars backlist as ebooks a year or so ago. I picked up a dozen or so of them at the time (including the original movie tie in novels). BTW, if you haven're read the original movie tie in novels, they are pretty good and do give some additional info.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I bought the first Star Wars Novel by the then unknown author George Lucas. This was before the movie was released. The cover had a blurb stating that it was soon to be released as a movie. I think it was one to two years later that the movie came out.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I've read most of them, and I'm in the middle of re-reading the series in chronological order at the moment (although I've taken a break from it to catch up on Desden before the next book of that is out, I think I'm about 45 books in or so at the moment).

There's definitely some clunkers in the batch (heck, there's a couple I'll probably skip in my re-read just because I dislike them that much). I find most of the prequel trilogy era books to be ok at best.

The Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy is real old-school star wars books. They're ok, although I'm not sure if I'd consider them great. I actually also really like the AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy.

I'm kinda partial to the X-wing series, and the Zahn authored stuff is definitely worth a read. I actually do like the New Jedi Order set of books, although it took me a bit to get into it. Might also be tough without some context from previous books with the kids. But it's 24 or so books that seem to have a fairly decent plan for the series laid out throughout the set, so they're pretty cohesive. RA Salvatore, who wrote the first one of those, might be one of the most hated people in the Star Wars universe, but don't go looking for why until you've read the books, or you'll find a major spoiler.

I haven't read any of the Legacy era stuff yet myself, although I know they don't seem to get the greatest reviews in the world. I plan on reading them when I get to that point in the timeline, but it's going to be a while (there's something like 160+ books or so in the star wars world, so it takes a little while to get through them all).
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Like piper28 I really enjoyed the X-Wing books by Stackpole and Alston and Zahn's stuff (Thrawn trilogy, etc.) although I haven't read as many SW books as they have. Liked the AC Crispin stuff (liked her Trek stuff too), but kinda stopped around the time the New Jedi Order stuff started up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I bought the first Star Wars Novel by the then unknown author George Lucas. This was before the movie was released. The cover had a blurb stating that it was soon to be released as a movie. I think it was one to two years later that the movie came out.
Apache
Star Wars was ghost written by Alan Dean Foster based on Lucas' script.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I knew he wrote the sequel, which was not made into a movie. I did not realize that he had written the first book. It is to bad he did not get to have his name on it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I definitely recommend the original Thrawn trilogy and I would also recommend the X-Wing novels.

I have read every "after return of the jedi" star wars book. The New Jedi Order series was pretty good but its long. The Legacy of the Force series which came after was poor and so was Fate of the Jedi which came after that.

So don't go beyond New Jedi Order
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I like a number of Alan Dean Foster's books. Like many mid level SF writers, he had a tendency to try to milk a series too long, but most of his books are good reads.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks! It's interesting how the biggest fan favorites are often still the earlier tie-in books. That's true for a lot of tie-in series, and it makes me wonder what the publishers and doing differently now.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For me, it's Stackpole, Zahn, and Daley in that order. I read them all as they came out. Interestingly, I was already familiar with all three authors before reading their SW stuff.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I haven't read the Stackpole Star Wars books, but I have the Zahn and Daley Star Wars books. All three are very good authors in their own rights, but life is hard on a mid list author, so many do write books for hire like that.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I really like the books from the Old Republic series starting with Revan. Those were my favorites. In fact, I'm in the middle of a re-read of that series.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
[QUOTE=piper28;2822113]

The Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy is real old-school star wars books. They're ok, although I'm not sure if I'd consider them great. I actually also really like the AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy.

I'm kinda partial to the X-wing series, and the Zahn authored stuff is definitely worth a read.
QUOTE]

The Timothy Zahn "Thrawn Trilogy" was fantastic, and one of the very very few extended universe series that didn't read like bad fanfic.
I also like the X-Wing series, but only the ones authoured by Michael A. Stackpole.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #15
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I also liked the Zahn Thrawn Trilogy and AC Crispin's Hans Solo Trilogy. I've never read Daley's Han Solo Trilogy, but it seems highly recommended.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote