Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
FullCircleDesign
FullCircleDesign began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4, Galaxy 2, Kindle App, ADE
HELP! There's a funny character in my ePub!

Hi everyone!

I thought I would just share a little something with the community.

About a week ago I posted a question on a funny character/glyph I was trying to publish to ePub from InDesign CS6: ḓ (latin small letter d with circumflex below (U+1E13))
It appeared as a block or ? on ADE and Blue Fire Reader for Android, but was perfect on the iPad's iBook (and all its fonts) and Blue Fire Reader.

After trying and trying, and fiddling in the back files, and phoning fellow ePub-publishers, and taking advice from MobileRead members ... it came down to one of the simplest tweaks!

By embedding the fonts for ePub, corrupts it in some way, right?
All you need to do is to delete the fonts within the OEBPS folder and add your InDesign packaged Document fonts instead.

Now, the exported fonts are named differently than the packaged fonts. These font names also appear in the CSS and the content.opf
(Export to ePub: OEBPS font folder: LinLibertine and LinLibertineB)
(Packaged: Document fonts folder: LinLibertine_R and LinLibertine_RB)

So the only thing left to do, was to rename the fonts in the CSS:
@font-face {
src : url("../font/LinLibertine_R.ttf")

content.opf :
<manifest>
<item id="LinLibertine_R.ttf" href="font/LinLibertine_R.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />

Hope it makes sense!
FullCircleDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. ePub posts belong in the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cs6, dreamweaver, embedded fonts, epub