Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2023, 04:48 AM   #1
DamienCassou
DamienCassou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Angry Blocked at setup screen after factory reset

I was using KSM and thought it might be good to switch to something more maintained. I opened KSM and selected the "del KSM.sh" script. After a few seconds, I was in Nickel setup screen asking me for a language. Then I had to choose between setting up through WiFi or through the computer:
  • through wifi: no wifi network is ever detected. I started a 2.4GhZ network, a guest network and a hotspot network on my router but none is ever detected.
  • through the computer: I'm on a linux distribution which doesn't run Kobo software. I tried with a virtual machine running Windows but the Kobo software doesn't detect anything.

I tried a factory reset (light + power button, wait a few seconds until "Restoring..." appears) but this hasn't changed much.

I only want to be able to install Koreader (or equivalent) back to my ereader. I'm out of options now.
DamienCassou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienCassou View Post
I was using KSM and thought it might be good to switch to something more maintained. I opened KSM and selected the "del KSM.sh" script. After a few seconds, I was in Nickel setup screen asking me for a language. Then I had to choose between setting up through WiFi or through the computer:
  • through wifi: no wifi network is ever detected. I started a 2.4GhZ network, a guest network and a hotspot network on my router but none is ever detected.
  • through the computer: I'm on a linux distribution which doesn't run Kobo software. I tried with a virtual machine running Windows but the Kobo software doesn't detect anything.

I tried a factory reset (light + power button, wait a few seconds until "Restoring..." appears) but this hasn't changed much.

I only want to be able to install Koreader (or equivalent) back to my ereader. I'm out of options now.
I'm in the same boat with my AuraHD, unfortunately. It spontneously reset itself last week, and I can't get it to register...mine detects my wifi network and logs in, but won't register. When I try to use the kobo app on my PC, it won't detect the device. (to be fair, the computer won't detect the device either, so...) I've tried multiple computers and multiple cables. Interestingly enough, the Kobo *thinks* that it's connected to a computer, but the computer doesn't see it. As I said, I've tried 3 different computers, and 4 or 5 different cables, and got the same result with all of them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2023, 03:17 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
Blocked at setup screen after factory reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienCassou View Post

Have you checked to see if the device is listed in /dev/? It might not be mounted in Windows, but if it’s listed in /dev/, you can use Linux to mount it and restore a clean SD disk image onto it.

Before doing that, have you tried a manual reset? It’s deeper than a factory reset. It wipes your Kobo to the state it was in when it first came out of its box: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-Kobo-eReader

Last edited by Cootey; 03-06-2023 at 03:24 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:20 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm in the same boat with my AuraHD, unfortunately. It spontneously reset itself last week, and I can't get it to register...mine detects my wifi network and logs in, but won't register. When I try to use the kobo app on my PC, it won't detect the device. (to be fair, the computer won't detect the device either, so...) I've tried multiple computers and multiple cables. Interestingly enough, the Kobo *thinks* that it's connected to a computer, but the computer doesn't see it. As I said, I've tried 3 different computers, and 4 or 5 different cables, and got the same result with all of them.

Shari

Have you tried a manual reset? https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017765793
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I ran into a similar problem with a Kobo Mini. Here was my problem and solution. Maybe it's the same for you (can't guarantee that).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=kobo+mini

Quote:
It (the Kobo Mini) had old software and, even though I could connect with its WiFi it would not (of course) update or register. I got out my only Windows half-computer (one Vista partition on the laptop, plus a Linux partition). I installed Kobo Desktop, it saw the Mini and tried to update, but it kept timing out. Never did figure out what the deal was with that.

So I downloaded the 4.19 firmware, hooked up to my Linux computer, and chose register via Kobo Desktop (on the Mini). At that point I could see the Kobo (on my Linux machine) so I copied over the update firmware, rebooted, and it updated. Then I was able to register it and download my books ...

Last edited by rcentros; 03-06-2023 at 05:26 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2023, 05:14 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What happens when you connect your computer to the Aura and choose "Register via Kobo Desktop." That's what I had to do to get my Linux computer to see the Kobo Mini (which may be different than the Aura). Once I could see the Mini in Linux, I could copy the update file over, reboot, and the Mini updated. And then I could register it.

The Kobo Desktop kept timing out, probably because the old firmware's security certificate is too old.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:15 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What happens when you connect your computer to the Aura and choose "Register via Kobo Desktop." That's what I had to do to get my Linux computer to see the Kobo Mini (which may be different than the Aura). Once I could see the Mini in Linux, I could copy the update file over, reboot, and the Mini updated. And then I could register it.

The Kobo Desktop kept timing out, probably because the old firmware's security certificate is too old.
When I choose "Register via Kobo Desktop", the reader acts like it's connected, but the computer can't see it.

Shari
Old 03-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
When I choose "Register via Kobo Desktop", the reader acts like it's connected, but the computer can't see it.
So more complicated than mine was. Sorry to hear that. This may be hardware issue, unfortunately.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So more complicated than mine was. Sorry to hear that. This may be hardware issue, unfortunately.
It's ok...it had a long life and gave lots of pleasant hours of reading. It's ok if it's old and tired...it deserves the rest.

Shari
Old 03-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #10
DamienCassou
DamienCassou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Have you checked to see if the device is listed in /dev/? It might not be mounted in Windows, but if it’s listed in /dev/, you can use Linux to mount it and restore a clean SD disk image onto it.
Unfortunately it doesn't appear anywhere. Also systemd doesn't produce any log when plugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Before doing that, have you tried a manual reset? It’s deeper than a factory reset.
I did both.
DamienCassou is offline   Reply With Quote