Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How the Kindle could save the New York Times

We have no way to verify these numbers, but Nicholas Carlson of the Silicon Alley Insider argues that the New York Times could save half of their costs by abandoning the print medium and donating an Amazon Kindle to each of their ~830k subscribers - free of charge that is.

Beside the fact that it would probably save a few happy trees, do you think such a drastic change of direction would be feasible? How many of those 830k subscribers do you think would stop reading the NYT simply because they don't like using electronic devices?

For an ongoing discussion, visit this thread.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is a great idea, except for the fact that they would loose all their advertisers... since there are no ads on the Kindle delivered versions.

Then again, if printing and distribution expenses went away would the subscription revenue be enough to replace the add revenue? I have no idea, but I suspect that it would not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
All media get main profit from ads not from subscription cost
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
All media get main profit from ads not from subscription cost
Hence the point of my post.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is a great idea, except for the fact that they would loose all their advertisers... since there are no ads on the Kindle delivered versions.

Then again, if printing and distribution expenses went away would the subscription revenue be enough to replace the add revenue? I have no idea, but I suspect that it would not.

BOb
Not even close. They've got what a million subscribers, that's $10 million a month. Probably wont even pay for the utility bills for their offices. But there is no reason the digital version can't have adds, the Times just has to use a different kind of ad.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I still get the Boston Globe in paper because I like scanning through the ads...specifically shows that are going on-sale and occasionally the sales. I once tried canceling all but my Sunday subscription thinking I could just get the daily news on the internet, but I missed my paper.

I don't like reading newspapers (or magazines) on the Kindle. I find it too time consuming because the navigation is more linear and having to keep going back to the TOC is a pain. Whereas, I flip back/forth and scan a lot between headlines/sections. I probably actually read only about a half-dozen or so articles in full each day.

I do like getting the New York Times - Latest Updates...because its just a handful of top stories to supplement my local paper. I still find the navigation is less than ideal if I want to move back/forth, but its small enough to go through without doing that.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I prefer online information. there is just so much more depth available, plus clarification and debate like we do here.

I left the paper for the internet in 1998.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is an absolutely ridiculous statement to make.

The New York Times is read world-wide. Are they going to simply abandon their readers outside the USA for whom the Kindle is not available, and wireless delivery will not work?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I love reading my paper on the Kindle but... I live far from New York and don't care about the ads. People will also go nuts at the loss of things like the crossword, box scores, comics, etc.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not even close. They've got what a million subscribers, that's $10 million a month.
Kovid, FWIW, a monthly home-delivered 7-day subscription to the New York Times in the metropolitan New York area (it is more outside the area) runs about $45 per month, so a million subscribers probably brings in $50 million a month (allowing for the various subscription schemes and area costs).

If the Times offered me a 3-year subscription at $40 per month which included a Plastic Logic Reader (or similar device) with electronic delivery, I'd gladly take it rather than the paper version, even though it would be a 3-year commitment. I think a lot of subscribers would, especially if there were two offerings included: (2) the e version of the daily print edition and (2) the ability to get updates during the day, perhaps to selected articles or topics.

This could result in less costs to the paper yet maintain subscription revenues.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
coolcat1901
coolcat1901 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
People worldwide read the NY Times? I guess I learn something new every day.
coolcat1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is an absolutely ridiculous statement to make.

The New York Times is read world-wide. Are they going to simply abandon their readers outside the USA for whom the Kindle is not available, and wireless delivery will not work?
Harry, I think the idea is to make it an option, especially for U.S. readers, not to abandon readers anywhere. OTOH, while I agree that using the Kindle is absurd because it is a closed system (and I personally wouldn't want to read anything on a Kindle because I do not want to support Amazon), using a device like the Plastic Logic Reader, especially if it is open to more networks around the world, could work.

Ideally, the New York Times and The Economist will offer joint subscriptions that include a device that is like the Plastic Logic supposedly will be at a reasonable monthly rate along the lines of cell phone plans here in the U.S. I can only hope!
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Kovid, FWIW, a monthly home-delivered 7-day subscription to the New York Times in the metropolitan New York area (it is more outside the area) runs about $45 per month, so a million subscribers probably brings in $50 million a month (allowing for the various subscription schemes and area costs).

If the Times offered me a 3-year subscription at $40 per month which included a Plastic Logic Reader (or similar device) with electronic delivery, I'd gladly take it rather than the paper version, even though it would be a 3-year commitment. I think a lot of subscribers would, especially if there were two offerings included: (2) the e version of the daily print edition and (2) the ability to get updates during the day, perhaps to selected articles or topics.

This could result in less costs to the paper yet maintain subscription revenues.
I was talking about the Kindle subscription which is $10 IIRC
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

However if only some, but not all, of the subscribers took the electronic distribution that still means they would have to maintain the printing and distribution infrastructure. Paper is probably one of the smaller costs in that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
However if only some, but not all, of the subscribers took the electronic distribution that still means they would have to maintain the printing and distribution infrastructure. Paper is probably one of the smaller costs in that.
Hi Alisa,

Yes, that was the point I was making about the overseas readers too. They'd have to maintain the printing plant, and for a smaller number of copies printed the overhead per copy would be a lot higher than it is now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote