Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
chumbucket
chumbucket began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Help, I've torn my ribbon cable replacing the battery on my 505!

Anybody know the part number or the details on the small ribbon cable that curls up when you pull the board out of the case?
Do I need to order the keypad? How much of a pin in the *ss is it to replace? I ripped it trying to put it back together after changing out the battery.
chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

Read service manual:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1215812429

Or call Sony direct parts @ (800)488-7669. You can order over phone or online at:

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ec.../web/index.jsp
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
melhall
melhall began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
erm, i can't see the details in teh docs.. any chance of a hand? As i've just done exactly the same damn thing|!
melhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melhall View Post
erm, i can't see the details in teh docs.. any chance of a hand? As i've just done exactly the same damn thing|!
It's a PDF document, just keep clicking on the button to enlarge the document in whatever viewer you're using, usually Ctrl and +, either Adobe or Foxit it quite good also.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thread is almost 2 years old and the OP has moved on to a T1.

Nothing to see here. Please move along.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Yes, but melhall now has done the same thing to his 505 reader and was asking for help viewing the documents originally posted, his post is from today.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
nofish
nofish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I know this thread is old, sorry for bumping, but as I have the same problem (torn ribbon cable replacing battery on my 505) and this thread popped up on a search, maybe it helps future searchers:

According to service manual, the ribbon cable is called KEY flexible board, and it seems the only way to solve it is to get a new case, X-2187-670-1 CASE SC ASSY (for SILVER) (including KEY flexible board), in my case.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I know this thread is old, sorry for bumping, but as I have the same problem (torn ribbon cable replacing battery on my 505) and this thread popped up on a search, maybe it helps future searchers:

According to service manual, the ribbon cable is called KEY flexible board, and it seems the only way to solve it is to get a new case, X-2187-670-1 CASE SC ASSY (for SILVER) (including KEY flexible board), in my case.
In your case,it's time to give up your old Sony and get a new Reader. Trying to find the parts needed to fix your 505is not worth the time and hassle. Just go get a Kobo and enjoy reading.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't know. I bought and installed a new battery in mine, and I'm well pleased that I did. Of course, the display and performance doesn't match up to any modern device, but the device itself is so retro cool that I would have felt bad about not using it anymore. It's nothing like today's touch devices, and it's kind of fun experiencing it again.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't know. I bought and installed a new battery in mine, and I'm well pleased that I did. Of course, the display and performance doesn't match up to any modern device, but the device itself is so retro cool that I would have felt bad about not using it anymore. It's nothing like today's touch devices, and it's kind of fun experiencing it again.
I don't know where @nofish lives, but if he lives in the USA, he can get a Kobo Aura 2 Walmart edition for about $70. I had a look on eBay and to buy another 505 is going ot cost around $30 and then you have to add in hipping. I have no idea where to get the parts he needs to fix his 505. I did a good search and nothing came up to buy the parts.

It's not worth the cost to buy another 505. You can get a much better Reader for not that much more. And then there are even better readers then the Aura 2. Right not, Walmart has the Kobo Clara HD on sale for $99.96.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
nofish
nofish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In your case,it's time to give up your old Sony and get a new Reader. Trying to find the parts needed to fix your 505is not worth the time and hassle. Just go get a Kobo and enjoy reading.
Thanks for the advice but well, I don't think so.
I didn't pay anything for the 505 because I was given it from someone who no longer used it.
So if I find a cheap broken one on ebay to replace the case that's totally fine I think.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Thanks for the advice but well, I don't think so.
I didn't pay anything for the 505 because I was given it from someone who no longer used it.
So if I find a cheap broken one on ebay to replace the case that's totally fine I think.
It's a waste of money. The 505 is really obsolete and slow. It either is really slow when dealing with high-res image or it reboots. It was never designed with enough resources to handle high-res images.

The only 505 I can find on US eBay (for parts with a broken screen) will cost about $40 (with shipping). Honestly, it's not even worth looking for a borken 505 to use to try to fix the one you have.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:24 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a waste of money. The 505 is really obsolete and slow. It either is really slow when dealing with high-res image or it reboots. It was never designed with enough resources to handle high-res images.

The only 505 I can find on US eBay (for parts with a broken screen) will cost about $40 (with shipping). Honestly, it's not even worth looking for a borken 505 to use to try to fix the one you have.
Check out Shop Goodwill. Sony PRS-505's are a "dime a dozen" there. They're nice, classic readers. I can see why someone would want to restore one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yes, they are all over Shopgoodwill.com and can be had for around $20 or less if the right auction comes along.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Yes, they are all over Shopgoodwill.com and can be had for around $20 or less if the right auction comes along.
Many times you'll find a group of eReaders in "as is" condition (most have worked). I think one time I got three PRS-505s so I could get another Sony that was bundled with them. Usually the price and shipping won't be much higher than buying one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote