Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #1
Libra2
Libra2 doesn't litterLibra2 doesn't litter

Smile [All] Permanently fix unicode fonts in firmware of Kobo - Including 4.32

Hi, I found a way to get rid of flaw display of Unicode fonts on the Kobo device after restarting. Even though the display can be rectified by picking one book, then return to home screen but I somehow feel that Kobo devices are inferior compared with those of Kindle in this aspect. Especially on 4.32, flaw display still appears on home screen despite fonts are side-loaded.

Here's the trick: Replacing Avenir and georgia from the official firmware will fix this flaw permanently (for Unicode problem). I think this can be applied for other language but did not test by myself. Having tested with Vietnamese which requires Unicode, I found the result is perfect for me.

Made a video myself:
https://youtu.be/MGyndMG68XU

Tools required:
WinRAR
7-zip
Official firmware
Fixed fonts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cvd...ew?usp=sharing

Some fixed firmware I'm using for myself:
ClaraHD 4.30: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izm...ew?usp=sharing
ClaraHD 4.32: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qGd...ew?usp=sharing
Libra2 4.30: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K0g...ew?usp=sharing
Libra2 4.32: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s5t...ew?usp=sharing
#fix #fonts #kobo #4.32
Libra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
oston
Connoisseur
oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Libra 2
Many thanks for tis work.
I downloaded and installed the fixed firmware for my new Libra2 4.32 device, but it did not solve my problem.
When I open a book that contains these diacritical chars ṇ ṅ ḷ ṁ ṭ , those characters are still not displayed.
Also the Georgia and Avenir fonts still show up as options for the Fonts.

Do you, or anyone else know why Kobo does not support the full capabilities of Unicode Fonts. I cannot see those diacritical chars even when I embed the complete Times New Roman in the epub.

Jim
oston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 05:26 AM   #3
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Thank you, I just might need to do something like this to fix the issue for Hebrew.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:32 AM   #4
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Hi

This sounds like an excellent solution, I read mostly Vietnamese books too and I would like to apply this fix for Kobo Libra 2 4.33.19611. However when I follow your video instructions and replace the Avenir & georgia code and copy the fixed firmware to my kobo libra 2, it hang and I have to do a factory reset. Is it possible for you to create a fixed firmnware for kobo libra 2 and firmware 4.33.19611? The kobo's firmware is here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Thank you
M
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:54 AM   #5
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oston View Post
Many thanks for tis work.
I downloaded and installed the fixed firmware for my new Libra2 4.32 device, but it did not solve my problem.
When I open a book that contains these diacritical chars ṇ ṅ ḷ ṁ ṭ , those characters are still not displayed.
Also the Georgia and Avenir fonts still show up as options for the Fonts.

Do you, or anyone else know why Kobo does not support the full capabilities of Unicode Fonts. I cannot see those diacritical chars even when I embed the complete Times New Roman in the epub.

Jim
I managed to set it up with the newest firmware for kobo libra 2 now. Somehow either ejecting the reader via windows explorer (not calibre) or re-zipping the firmware (after replacing the fonts) and copying the zip file to .kobo (reader) and unzip it there do the trick. Thank you for this great and simple trick to allow unicode fonts (Vietnamese only) to be displayed correctly in the menu and such.

Thank you
M
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2022, 04:42 AM   #6
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I made a 1st attempt at replacing the default font with something that contains Hebrew glyphs. My idea was to modify the font and add the glyphs to it, but that didn't go very since the fonts seems to be encrypted/obfuscated.

So I need to replace them with something else. Do I need to modify the fonts I want to use so that the font names (file names and internally) match those of the Avenir and Georgia?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #7
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
So I need to replace them with something else. Do I need to modify the fonts I want to use so that the font names (file names and internally) match those of the Avenir and Georgia?
Yes to changing the font names internally. Also, the file names have to be the same too.

If you like the look of Avenir and Georgia and would prefer to keep them, you can also try to modify unencrypted versions sourced from elsewhere. For example, Georgia is included in Windows and Nook firmware includes a copy of Avenir.

Another option if you're on firmware 4.33 is to replace the OpenDyslexic font (same method as above) with a better font and enable Dyslexic Mode. At least that way, you're only modifying one font instead of two, and probably a font you weren't going to use anyway.

EDIT: Dyslexic Mode would only work for changing the UI though. If you wanted to change the default reading fonts as well, then you'd have to change Georgia and Avenir Next anyways which means there'd be no point in going the Dyslexic Mode route.

Last edited by rtiangha; 06-14-2022 at 05:44 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:58 AM   #8
Libra2
Libra2 doesn't litterLibra2 doesn't litter

Sorry guys that I did not visit this regularly.
Good news that the flaw can be fixed by firmware modification or patch modification.
All files made by me is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...V7CgOHIGvhTHPG
Libra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #9
Mimonaut
Mimonaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
latest fw fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra2 View Post
Sorry guys that I did not visit this regularly.
Good news that the flaw can be fixed by firmware modification or patch modification.
All files made by me is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...V7CgOHIGvhTHPG
Hi, please can you make fix for latest version of FW? I have Libra2, I am trying more than two years talk to kobo support team, they still have full mouth of promises how they finally actually working on solution blablabla.. and nothing happened..

Best regards..
Ondrej
Mimonaut is offline   Reply With Quote