Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Paperwhite is a paperweight?

Although the specs say the PW is lighter than he KK/K3, it really doesn't feel like that to me. Unfortunately I don't have a scale to measure the weights so can anyone confirm it is indeed lighter and put my mind to rest lol.

One of the reasons I upgraded to PW is that it is smaller and lighter, but it actually feels quite heavy to me.

Maybe its just perceived weight and something to do with how the weight is distributed. KK is larger and thinner, while PW is smaller and seems like weight is mostly in the bottom half of it.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I can confirm The PW is lighter although I do know what you mean, the PW does feel heavier. Just to see, I went and weighed them on my scale and got:

PW - 7.40 oz
Kindle Keyboard - 7.85 oz
Kindle Touch - 7.50 oz
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Build quality and how it feels in the hand has a lot to say about ones perception, when it comes to such small weight differences.

You often see it (Erh, feel it) with phones, which comes in many different variations.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Weights WITH covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Although the specs say the PW is lighter than he KK/K3, it really doesn't feel like that to me. Unfortunately I don't have a scale to measure the weights so can anyone confirm it is indeed lighter and put my mind to rest lol.

One of the reasons I upgraded to PW is that it is smaller and lighter, but it actually feels quite heavy to me.

Maybe its just perceived weight and something to do with how the weight is distributed. KK is larger and thinner, while PW is smaller and seems like weight is mostly in the bottom half of it.
Weights of Kindles with covers:

Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb = 1 pound, 2.9 ounces
Kindle Paperwhite = 11.9 ounces
Kindle Fire 1st Gen = 1 pound, 4.2 ounces
Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Gen = 13.6 ounces

I only weighed them all with the standard covers since I can't imagine using any of them without their covers. The standard covers for the PW and KFHD7-32 have magnetic clasps which also puts the units to sleep when closed and wakes them when opened.

The PW is the lightest.

The KFHD7-32 definitely needs a separate stand for desk use. The cover can double as a stand but one cannot adjust the viweing angle unless one uses a separate stand.

The KF1G can use the Marware cover with a great built in stand.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-29-2012 at 02:22 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I experienced the same thing, though more with the Touch. I borrowed a touch while waiting for my PW to arrive and it felt SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than my Keyboard, even though specs said otherwise.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Not just me then! Thanks for confirming the weight.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The PW with the Amazon cover feels noticeably lighter than the Touch with the lighted cover.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I think the location of the battery can heavily influence how it feels in your hand.

The PW has the battery at the top and the electronics at the bottom.. not sure about some of the older kindles. Having the battery at the top IMO will make the device feel heavier if you're holding it at the bottom.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
thetonyclifton
thetonyclifton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Build quality and how it feels in the hand has a lot to say about ones perception, when it comes to such small weight differences.

You often see it (Erh, feel it) with phones, which comes in many different variations.
Completely agree, a sturdyness can be mistaken for heft in a gadget but I think it is desirable. I can see the OP's point but I think it is probably a positive, amazon have made a lighter, thinner device which does not feel fragile because build quality is higher than previous generations.
thetonyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote