Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
JazzyJ
JazzyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Expandable TOC?

Hi all,

Please can users let me know if their E-Reader/OS supports expandable TOC.

I've got a Kobo Glo but it doesn't have/support an expandable TOC.
By this, I mean a little 'triangle' that can be clicked to expand part of the TOC.

If I use a Bible commentary, it could have '66 books' and then hundreds of chapters within those books. A lot of commentaries, in the TOC they just have the 'books' and not the chapters inside the books - it's absolutely unsuable. It's impossible to navigate where you need to get to.

I have 'Moonreader' on my mobile phone and this has/supports an expandable TOC.

I need to buy a new e-reader, therefore:
Please can users let me know if their E-Reader/OS supports expandable TOC.

As far as I know none of the KOBO models (at least when using gerenic Firmware) DO NOT support expandalbe TOC's.

Does Nook? Kindle? etc.

Thanks for your help
JazzyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Hey, I think your question belongs in the Which One Should I Buy? forum.

The older Nooks did not support an expandable TOC and I don't believe the newer ones do. Kobos all run essentially the same software and do not have expandable TOC. Not sure about Kindles.

Some people put an alternate reader on their Kobos and Kindles, KOReader. I don't know what that supports as I've never tried it.

You might look into an e-reader that runs Android. Then you could install Moonreader on it. The one I've looked at is the Icarus Illumina HD. But there are several others.

Depending on where you live, ordering one could be a pain (they are mainly sold in Europe).

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-23-2016 at 11:26 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the General Discussion Forum and into the Which One Should I Buy Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle supports it (if the book is appropriately coded, of course).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Pocketbook also supports this.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert