Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #1
joten
joten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre does not show the covers of PDF files

Hello.
I have been using Calibre for several years without any problems, but now I have changed my PC and after installing it on the new PC, I see that every time I import a book in PDF format, the cover does not appear in the book details window. I have been looking at the options, but I can't see what needs to be changed for them to appear automatically, as they used to.
Please, can you help me?
Thank you
joten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Works for me.

Check Preferences->Look and feel->Book details - is Show cover checked (it's the first setting)?

PDFs don't have designated covers as such. Calibre extracts the first page and uses it to create a cover.jpg in the book folder, this is what gets displayed in Book details… is it there?

If it's not try adding a PDF after restarting calibre with no plugins… there's an option in Preferences drop down. If that works you should be able to figure out which plugin is creating the problem
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #3
joten

Thanks BetterRed for the response but it didn't work:
- Regarding the 'Show cover' option, it was already checked. This option makes a cover appear in the book details window, but the cover that appears is the default Calibre cover, not the one that corresponds to the PDF book.
- Regarding the plugins, I have disabled all of them but it didn't solve the problem either. I have to say that I haven't installed any additional plugins other than the ones that come by default with Calibre.
Let's see if anyone else can come up with another solution.
Thanks.
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joten View Post
- Regarding the 'Show cover' option, it was already checked. This option makes a cover appear in the book details window, but the cover that appears is the default Calibre cover, not the one that corresponds to the PDF book.
This means that you haven't set the cover in calibre. Calibre is using the cover it assumed when you loaded the book, which can be the first page of the PDF or sometimes no cover, in which case a generic cover is used. To fix it, in calibre, select one misbehaving PDF and use the Edit Metadata command. The cover you see there is the cover that calibre will use. If it isn't the one you want, change it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #5
joten

Yes, Chaley, I know that the cover can be changed in the Modify Metadata option, but that's not what I want.
For all the years I've been using Calibre, when I added a book with a PDF extension, Calibre would automatically choose the first page of that file as the cover. And that's not happening now, because now for all the PDFs I add, the cover it generates is based on the file's metadata, which has nothing to do with the first page of that book.
Moreover, I've done a couple of tests:
- On one hand, I added a couple of PDF books that are giving me problems with the covers, on another PC with Calibre, and just like it used to happen to me for years, there the covers correspond to the first page of the book.
- On the other hand, I re-added one of the PDF books that already appear in my Calibre library imported from my old PC, and the first page does not appear as the cover either, when it did appear before.
In any case, thank you very much for the response.
Advert
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What OS? Because it works (as of 10 Jul, the last PDF I added) on W10.

FWIW I keep all the Users Manuals for appliances in Calibre (They are almost always PDF). The first page shows as the cover in the Details by default.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Moreover, I've done a couple of tests:
- On one hand, I added a couple of PDF books that are giving me problems with the covers, on another PC with Calibre, and just like it used to happen to me for years, there the covers correspond to the first page of the book.
- On the other hand, I re-added one of the PDF books that already appear in my Calibre library imported from my old PC, and the first page does not appear as the cover either, when it did appear before.
In any case, thank you very much for the response.
That says the two installations have different preferences settings. Probably the "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name" is checked on the one that works and is not checked on the one that doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	210218  
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #8
joten

Thanks theducks and Chaley.
1. As I said, I have tested it on 2 PCs: my new one (where the first page of the PDF does not appear as the cover but rather the one Calibre generates based on the metadata) and another PC, where Calibre was already installed and the first page does appear as the cover in the PDF files.
Both PCs have Calibre version 7.16 installed and both are running Windows 11.
2. I have checked the 3 existing tabs in the Preferences - Add Books option (Read Metadata - Adding Actions - Automatic Adding) and both PCs are the same. Specifically, the option 'Read metadata from file contents rather than file name' that you mentioned is checked.
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks theducks and Chaley.
1. As I said, I have tested it on 2 PCs: my new one (where the first page of the PDF does not appear as the cover but rather the one Calibre generates based on the metadata) and another PC, where Calibre was already installed and the first page does appear as the cover in the PDF files.
Both PCs have Calibre version 7.16 installed and both are running Windows 11.
2. I have checked the 3 existing tabs in the Preferences - Add Books option (Read Metadata - Adding Actions - Automatic Adding) and both PCs are the same. Specifically, the option 'Read metadata from file contents rather than file name' that you mentioned is checked.
On my system, Win 11 with the calibre preview edition (7.16.100), if I check that box an added PDF will show the first page as a cover. If I uncheck that box then an added PDF will not show the first page as a cover.

The setting has no effect on PDFs already added. They must be either a) deleted then re-added, or b) have the cover changed manually.

I have no explanation for why it works for me and the other two posters but doesn't work for you.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #10
joten

Thank you, Chaley.
Yes, it is indeed strange, especially since, as I mentioned, the option doesn't work on my new PC, but it does on another PC where I tested it.
I always have the option to extract the first page of each PDF, save it as a JPG, and import it as a cover, but doing that with each new file will complicate the work a bit.
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #11
joten

I just found the solution!
I thought of running Calibre with administrator privileges and it worked.
In any case, thank you very much for your responses and your time.
Regards.