Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
texaspete
texaspete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 + 4
PW3 5.12.3 Serial Jailbreak - generated root password is wrong

I finally got a decent serial connection with an old high-density foam mouse ergonomic pad and a few sewing pins.

I managed to bungle through the diagnostics menu and got to a login prompt, but I can't log in as root. I tried the generated fiona password with no luck. I even found my serial number in the minicom log and pasted that into the Python command, and triple-checked that I had the right command in Python. I tried it in Python 2 as well just to be sure. I came up with the same fionaxxx password each time. I tried typing it in by hand and also pasting it in but I was not successful.

I'm not sure what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
texaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Have you tried this
https://www.sven.de/kindle

The first try should be: mario

Last edited by hius07; 07-27-2020 at 06:32 AM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
texaspete
texaspete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 + 4
Thanks for the quick reply, hius07. I did manage to finish the jailbreak.

As I said in my first post, I 'bungled' my way through the diagnostics menu. I was unable to get that menu to work from the serial terminal (minicom) and had to flip the PW3 over to access the menu from the kindle's screen. I remember that I told it to disable the diagnostics (I think I remember this) before exiting to the prompt.

Anyway, I restarted the kindle from the touchscreen and entered the diagnostics menu again, and just exited the menu. I'm pretty sure this is what I did -- I just got out of it without doing anything. After that, the python one-liner generated password worked fine and I was able to do the rest without any issues (so far).

I think the hardest part (for me) was getting the kindle open. The next hardest part was securing a good connection with the sewing pins. It took a few pieces of scotch tape (magic tape, the clear tape). This was okay but maybe I'd use painter's tape next time because it took a little work to get it unglued. It left no residue though, so that's good.

I think you need something heavy to stab the pins through. Initially, I had a piece of packing foam that an ESP8266 had been shipped with, but the pins kept moving around and I could not secure it well enough to the motherboard. Once I switched to a thick foam mid-90's useless ergonomic pad, it only took a few minutes to stab the pins in the correct orientation.

Certainly this can be avoided by just soldering the pads, but I was a little worried since they are very small and are very close together. Also, I don't have that really thin solder at the moment that I'd definitely recommend to anyone doing that.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I am looking forward to customizing my kindle.
texaspete is offline   Reply With Quote