Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Has Onyx-Boox stopped making (non-Lite) Pokes?

I'm eventually going to need to replace my current Poke2, so try to keep an eye on alternatives (so I don't need to make a hurried choice when it does die). I definitely prefer flush bezels, so that leaves the Poke 4 Lite out. Although I could see myself contemplating a reasonably slender 7" reader, the Leaf series are as wide as an 8", which leaves them out.

The Boox Website has long since delisted the Poke3, I'm not sure the Poke4 (non-Lite) was ever released outside China, and the website's selection tool recommends the 7.8" Nova Air2 as the 2nd-best (after the Leaf2) for somebody who wants a "compact" reader and doesn't need to take notes.

This leaves me currently bookmarking the Meebook M6 as my Poke2's eventual replacement.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yup. This is a problem. I have a Poke3.

Onyx has a plethora of (other) models with a lot of overlap between features.
That they have this (6") hole in the product line with nothing similar is discouraging.

The Meebook M6 looks interesting. That is a flush front?
That Amazon recommends as alternate some 6.8" Kindle shows that the 6" field is diminishing generally.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
That is a flush front?
That is what this post claims, confirmed by this video. It actually looks very much like a rebranded Poke in its physical design.

Quote:
That Amazon recommends as alternate some 6.8" Kindle shows that the 6" field is diminishing generally.
Yet there seems to be little or no variety in the independent/non-Kindle 6.8" designs -- I've seen a number of readers with the same large asymmetric side bezel as the Leaf series. It makes me wonder if all the readers are actually being made by the same OEM.

If somebody made a reasonably lightweight scale-up of the Poke design aesthetic to 6.8", I'd look quite closely at it as my next reader.

I used to be a big fan of physical page-turn buttons, but my Poke2 has converted me to touchscreen-only. Also it seems to have an advantage in terms of longevity, as the page-turn buttons have been a not-uncommon point of failure in my previous readers.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
I used to be a big fan of physical page-turn buttons...
I used to like physical buttons but they make a device bulky. It seems silly (because it is silly), but I've fallen in love with using a Bluetooth remote. My reader is usually two feet away and I like the freedom to put my hands where I will, over my head or under the covers. This is custom hardware and software but a generic keyfob case. I love it. If a button failed it would take me 5 minutes to replace it (and I have another two dozen pushbuttons in stock).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt_case2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	201089  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:32 PM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic

I went shopping yesterday afternoon, and as it was on the way to the Indian food store where I regularly buy my spices and legumes, I dropped into one of the larger electronics stores in town. They had a Kobo ereader (Libre2, I think) that had a very similar layout to the Leaf2 -- it was quite uncomfortable to hold. Admittedly the Libre2 is a bit wider than the Leaf2 (5.71" compared to 5.4"), but this is still cause for concern. The larger Kindle (Paperwhite, I think -- it wasn't labelled clearly) was more comfortable (4.9", so I'm told).

Does any independent manufacturer make an eReader closely similar (in size and layout) to the Paperwhite? Has anybody been able to replace Amazon's custom OS on the Paperwhite with a ePaper-friendly version of Android?
Advert
Old 05-15-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Does any independent manufacturer make an eReader closely similar (in size and layout) to the Paperwhite? Has anybody been able to replace Amazon's custom OS on the Paperwhite with a ePaper-friendly version of Android?
No and No
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote