Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question So which books ....

I was going to wait until I put together a list of my own, but that could take a while, so ....

A user over on Make's forum posted a time-passer question that we could kick around too. (I don't know if any of us frequent Make or not...) I don't mind borrowing good ideas, but I do want to make sure they get credit.

The basic question is what books do you see as being your ideal e-reader library? Not just books that are available electronically, but any books. What is your personal top choice reading list?

I suppose we ought to put some sort of limit on it to keep it from getting too huge. That'll make it harder for me, personally, to come up with a list, of course, but there you go. Let's say top 10, so as not to make it too hard to narrow down.

Yeah, it's similar to the "what will you read first" but it's a different exercise, and maybe it'll give us each some new titles/authors to consider in the future.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've got about 5,500 waiting for some kind of e-reader.

First thing I'll try is to work all 6 formats I have books in to see if they work and I will sci-fi myself to sleep to the faded sun trilogy by CJ Cherryh.

I'm really looking forward to see how long my eyes can last on that thing.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Now that is hard because I might want to take a whole library and could do so if you let it a SD card for the Sony Reader. In the spirit of the question, though, I'd pick the following (the first 3 I already read but would always read again):
  • Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (all trilogy in one book )
  • Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (excellent cyberpunk)
  • Dune by Frank Herbert (again, I'd consider it a single book)
  • Some kind of survival guide
  • The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman (everyone says it's an excellent book on globalization)
  • The Odyssey by Homer
  • Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide by O'Reilly (because I always wanted to learn more about Web design)
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, confining myself to fiction, here's most of my list. I've tried to think of books that have been important to me for a long time, and/or that I have re-read frequently.

In no order of precedence:

1) Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, has to be on the list.
2) The Princess Bride by William Goldman is another one that has been a recurrent reading for me.
3) The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey is a bit of a cheat, as it's a 3 in 1 mega-tome, but it may be the most re-read book I own.
4) Asimov's I, Robot was highly formative to me, along with 75% of the rest of the world.
5) Her Majesty's Wizard, by Christopher Stasheff. It's become the first in a series, but it was written as a stand-alone. I think it's also the best of the series, as first ones often are.
6) In Fury Born by David Weber. Weber has to be on my list, but most of his writings are parts of series. While I think that most of his "series" books stand alone just fine, I couldn't bear to be without the rest of them, so I choose a stand-alone, that I've read twice in perhaps two years. Well, I should say I've read Path of the Fury (the core of this book) twice, I haven't read the new version, but if I had to choose, the expanded is what I'd go for. The Excalibur Alternative and The Apocolypse Troll were close runners up.
7) John Ringo's There Will Be Dragons makes this list, because Ringo also mostly writes in series (this being the first of one of those, for anyone who doesn't know), and I think of his series books, this one is pretty self contained. I did consider Princess of Wands and Into the Looking Glass, which aren't (yet) series...es, but I just like Dragons better. (shrug)
8) Talion: Revenant by Michael Stackpole. It's just a really good read.
9) I think I should put L. Ron. Hubbard's Battlefield Earth on the list. it's Huge, at 1,066 paperback pages, so it lasts a while per read, and unlike the recent movie which shared the title, a few character names, and some plot points, the book is actually good. It's been criticized over the years as clichéd, but is it really a cliché if your doing something first?
10) The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I checked it out of the library some 20-odd times in Junior High, so I guess it qualifies as "formative." Holmes is still among my favorite characters.

I wanted to put Timothy Zahn on the list, because I really enjoy his writing, but his non-series books tend to have big twists at the end, which means they're not the best choices for frequent re-reading. (sigh) And there are many other authors who I'd like to cram in there, but, alas.

I suppose we could start another list of ten current favorite authors, but I think mine would be largely the same folks, so there you go.

Like yvanleterrible, I've got a much larger list of want-to-reads than that, but I think that's probably my top-shelf for fiction.

@doctorow -- Have you read William Gibson's Neuromancer? I almost put it on my list, but it's a bit too harsh for me to want read too frequently (though I do re-read it occasionally).
Old 08-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
NatCh,

I did read Neuromancer. I think I read most of Gibson's books. Excellent works, if you like the style.

Among your books, I'd be most interested in Enders Game. It's one of the Sci-Fi sagas I've never came about to read. Since my PDA is out of e-books right now, I might just well get this one on.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Among your books, I'd be most interested in Enders Game. It's one of the Sci-Fi sagas I've never came about to read.
How did you manage that?!?

Nevermind, you're in for a treat. If you enjoy it, I'd also recommend the Shadow books (Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, etc.) in the same series. They are truer to the original's spirit, in my opinion, than the actual sequels (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide & Children of the Mind), which I thought were okay, but not really as good as E.G. However, if you like Zen-oid stuff, you'd probably like them better than I did.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Wow, the Ender series is also on my list, all I've read so far is the 1st short story. There are also the Star Trek SCE series of books, most of those have been released only in e-book format.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Remember, we're dreaming here -- don't just limit to things actually available as e-texts.

Maybe the Pubs will somehow get the word that we want other stuff, even older stuff as e-texts.

Like I said, we're dreaming, so dream big! Go where you wish you could to go.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
1. Burton's unabridged Thousand and One Nights (this is available as an ebook)
2. Churchill's History of the Second World War (this is available as an ebook)
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Complete collection of Anthony Trollope's works
5. Complete collection of Dickens' works (this is available as an ebook)
6. China Mieville's Perdido Street Station
7. Complete Sherlock Holmes
8. The Annotated Alice
9. Complete collection of Michael Moorcock's works
10. Will & Aerial Durants History of the World
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba
4. Complete collection of Anthony Trollope's works
Do they make SD cards that big?

That is an epic list, paulkbiba.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
1. The Baroque Cycle trilogy by Neal Stephenson
2. V./Vinland/Gravity's Rainbow/Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
3. Scanner Darkly/The Penultimate Truth/VALIS/Ubik/Time Out of Joint/Flow My Tears, the Policeman said/... by Philip K. Dick
4. Little, Big/Aegypt by John Crowley
5. House of Leaves
6. Gödel, Escher, Bach
7. The Complete New Yorker
8. Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
9. Top Ten series/From Hell by Alan Moore
10. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

Well. More than 10 books, but...
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
What great lists! I'm reminded of when I first got my Rocketbook, and filled it with public-domain works I ordinarily might not have read. The result was a profoundly rewarding reading experience.

paulkbiba's list mentions Dickens... I'm almost through "Our Mutual Friend", which I picked up solely because it was mentioned on "Lost".

And from tofuman's list - I stalled out at halfway through Stephenson's "Quicksilver"; I'd love to have that trilogy - and the Pynchon, AND the Dick, AND the Gaiman... well all of the above. Now I'm getting excited.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Stephenson's trilogy is a must-read, in my opinion. The last one is especially good.
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #14
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I agree with randyman - the public domain stuff already gives me a chance to read a lot of the classics I promised myself I should read - and I also find it a very rewarding experience. Conrads' I'm finding really interesting at the moment, together with Blackmore's Lorna Doone (as I've just been to Exmoor for the first time).
I'm a lazy reader and generally graze, buying books in airports from the top 50 (or adjacent stands!)
Another list:
- Current top 50 in bookshops
- Complete works of Graham Greene
- All of Douglas Adams stuff
- Dilbert books
- Lonely Planet Guides
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote