Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
ebook slider

I always thought it would be cool if someone made an ereader with a physical slider on it along the edge that you could slide up and down to quickly flip through a book.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 04:54 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Existed in 1989. Tapping at 1/3rd down the edge would open at 1/3rd. Sliding was possible to flip.

A physical slider would soon fail.

You can kind of do it on Kobo if you tap and slide on the progress bar.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2024, 04:55 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I don't want to touch the screen. I want a slider or a knob.
Old 09-05-2024, 06:26 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A touch strip on the bezel will work. A physical slider will wear out or get clogged.
A knob on a rotary encoder can be long life if it works like a mouse wheel.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 08:40 AM   #5
jackm8
Addict
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First Pocketbook Inkpad has a touch based slider on top that adjust backlight brightness. I always wondered why nobody did something similar for turning pages.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
First Pocketbook Inkpad has a touch based slider on top that adjust backlight brightness. I always wondered why nobody did something similar for turning pages.
I think some Onyx devices will adjust brightness by up and down sliding on the left side of the screen.

Sliding along the bottom edge to flip through books is annoying. You flip through a book by going down the right side with your thumb. An ereader should be able to mimic that behavior.
Old 09-05-2024, 10:49 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I think some Onyx devices will adjust brightness by up and down sliding on the left side of the screen.

Sliding along the bottom edge to flip through books is annoying. You flip through a book by going down the right side with your thumb. An ereader should be able to mimic that behavior.
Kobo will adjust the light be sliding up/down on the left side of the screen next to the bezel.

But as to what you want, it doesn't exist and never will. You will have to touch the screen to do some things even if there are buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 10:59 AM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo will adjust the light be sliding up/down on the left side of the screen next to the bezel.

But as to what you want, it doesn't exist and never will. You will have to touch the screen to do some things even if there are buttons.
Given my choice, I would never want to touch the screen for anything. But that ship has sailed.
Old 09-18-2024, 01:49 AM   #9
kwik
kwik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
I always thought it would be cool if someone made an ereader with a physical slider on it along the edge that you could slide up and down to quickly flip through a book.
If there were a way to avoid accidental slides, I think that would be a good idea. But given how e-readers have slow, primitive sreens, it wouldn't be as nice of an experience as on a device using a regular screen, allowing quick glances as you speed through.
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 05:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik View Post
If there were a way to avoid accidental slides, I think that would be a good idea. But given how e-readers have slow, primitive sreens, it wouldn't be as nice of an experience as on a device using a regular screen, allowing quick glances as you speed through.
An eInk screen is not too slow or primitive. Can you read well with direct sunlight glaring on your phone's screen without having to turn up the brightness? That's what I call primitive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 06:50 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Sony Clié. Had a scroll wheel on the side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_clie_peg-sl10.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	210894  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 10:19 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not a wonderful idea for any pocket portable device.

Sliders are fraught with issues, besides the cost.
There has been a trend since I got my first Astak to make them water resistant.
Because a slider moves quite a distance, sealing from even dirt is very difficult.

5-ways get a pass because they just rock in place, so the seal is simple.

If you are curious, go price ruggedized laptops and testers used in the field.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 11:05 PM   #13
kwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An eInk screen is not too slow or primitive. Can you read well with direct sunlight glaring on your phone's screen without having to turn up the brightness? That's what I call primitive.
OK. I was referring to refresh rates of e-ink screens though, which would have an effect on quickly glancing at pages as you scroll by them quickly. Of course e-ink has its advantages in sunlight (and power consumption), but for the purposes of scrolling by fast? Nah, not so good.
Old 09-19-2024, 11:12 PM   #14
kwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a wonderful idea for any pocket portable device.

Sliders are fraught with issues, besides the cost.
There has been a trend since I got my first Astak to make them water resistant.
Because a slider moves quite a distance, sealing from even dirt is very difficult.
When the OP said slider, I didn't imagine a mechanical one. I imagined more of a narrow touchpad type of thing with no moving parts and sealed from the elements, which you could slide your finger across quickly or slowly for page turns or tap in certain ways to get to interesting bits like saved pages or notes. But I probably got that wrong. One thing I know for sure is manufacturers don't like extra cost unless the customer is willing to pay for it, of course, and they don't like more returns / support staff.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:32 AM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
There is the Kindle Page Flip view, it's a software based slider view that all (?) Kindles have. It works ok for me when I need to skim to find out where I am.

I don't think a hardware slider/wheel would provide any value to me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote