Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
Joseph The Grave
Joseph The Grave began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Changing color of scroll bar?

My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I have trouble seeing the right hand scroll bar because it blends in too well with the dark theme. Is there a way to change it's color or at least make it more pronounced? I'm on calibre portable v5.44.0 for PC, btw. This is a great program and I'm finding it very useful now that I'm learning how to use it properly but a more visible scrollbar would make it just perfect for me. I did figure out how to change the color of text in columns however and wonder if I can do the same for the scrollbar, either natively or with a plugin.
Joseph The Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not much choice.
Preferences: Look & Feel: User Interface style: (2 choices)

FWIW Almost all 'scroll' operations can be done with the:
up/down arrow keys
Page up/down
Note: The control key modifies the action in some case to 'Jump'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph The Grave View Post
My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I have trouble seeing the right hand scroll bar because it blends in too well with the dark theme. Is there a way to change it's color or at least make it more pronounced? I'm on calibre portable v5.44.0 for PC, btw. This is a great program and I'm finding it very useful now that I'm learning how to use it properly but a more visible scrollbar would make it just perfect for me. I did figure out how to change the color of text in columns however and wonder if I can do the same for the scrollbar, either natively or with a plugin.
Only if you change the Windows colour settings, which will of course change it for everything.

Unfortunately the Qt multi-platform graphical user interface framework that calibre uses doesn't provide a way for applications to control scroll bar characteristics.

Via a Look & Feel Preference version 6 makes it easier to enforce Light and Dark mode. I've noticed that the scroll button is a bit easier to see in Light mode. There's a sticky at the top of this forum for the beta, the first post has a link to the beta installer page.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
Joseph The Grave

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I did notice the scroll bar being easier to see in light mode so that's an option though I prefer dark themes now for all my Windows programs and apps, including windows itself.. Basically I want to use the scroll bar to quickly get to the top of my book list in the main browser (I have nearly 3000 ebooks and documents) but as an alternative to the scroll bar I'd settle for a hot key or script that instantly jumps to the top. Is this possible? The reason I want to do this is because I created a Favorites column and they're always at the top hence the need to jump.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
but as an alternative to the scroll bar I'd settle for a hot key or script that instantly jumps to the top. Is this possible?
CTRL-Home works for me
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Joseph The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CTRL-Home works for me
Yes, that worked. Unfortunately I use one of those "condensed" KBs with no number pad or dedicated function keys where I have to press the FN key then 3 other keys to do the same thing as Ctrl + Home. A real pain in the pooter lol So I just use the scroll bar... with a lot of squinting, of course
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #7
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toysmeghane_e shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle
Quote:
My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I have trouble seeing the right hand scroll bar because it blends in too well with the dark theme...
Was going to ask the same question for the same reason. I have early macular degeneration (no fix), early cataracts (fixable eventually) and astigmatism (fixed). Dark background is easier on my eyes; white background aggravate the glare effect. But most of the apps with dark color schemes gave no thought to scroll bars coloring.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote