Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
macd
macd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Change minimum brightness setting to 1% permanently?

Hi all. I like to use my Kobo with the backlight set at 1% brightness when reading in the dark. I never use the Kobo with the light off. Is it possible to change the Kobo's brightness settings so that it is impossible to set the brightness at 0%?

The problem with 0% is that when using the menu or side-swipe to change the brightness, it's much too easy to accidentally turn the backlight off completely. If the Kobo is set to 0% accidentally while I'm reading in the dark, it is almost impossible to turn it back on again without turning on the room lights or with a flashlight. It would be much quicker and less frustrating to drag the brightness all the way down without it turning off completely.

Any advice is appreciated.
macd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not as bad as some desktops or laptops where the +* and -* brightness keys don't work and you accidentality set it to 0. Many OS even remember the setting at boot time
If the keyboard shortcut isn't working you are in bigger trouble than the Kobo. A torch won't help.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can you just disable the "swipe to change brightness" option so you never accidentally turn the light off? If you want to read at exactly 1%, I doubt the swiping feature is very useful to you anyway, since you can't set precise illumination levels that way. I leave my Kobo at 5% and have swiping disabled.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Can you just disable the "swipe to change brightness" option so you never accidentally turn the light off? If you want to read at exactly 1%, I doubt the swiping feature is very useful to you anyway, since you can't set precise illumination levels that way. I leave my Kobo at 5% and have swiping disabled.
Yes you can. Settings > Reading settings, uncheck Swipe left to adjust brightness. Then the only way to change the brightness is with the light setting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:54 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The OP specifically also asked about the menu.

However I found the side swipe annoying on models with no buttons so I turn that off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 05:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macd View Post
Hi all. I like to use my Kobo with the backlight set at 1% brightness when reading in the dark. I never use the Kobo with the light off. Is it possible to change the Kobo's brightness settings so that it is impossible to set the brightness at 0%?

The problem with 0% is that when using the menu or side-swipe to change the brightness, it's much too easy to accidentally turn the backlight off completely. If the Kobo is set to 0% accidentally while I'm reading in the dark, it is almost impossible to turn it back on again without turning on the room lights or with a flashlight. It would be much quicker and less frustrating to drag the brightness all the way down without it turning off completely.

Any advice is appreciated.
My reply to Aleron also applies to yourself.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
macd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I don't want to disable the swipe to change brightness option. I just want the lowest value to be 1% instead of 0%.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:03 PM   #8
macd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes you can. Settings > Reading settings, uncheck Swipe left to adjust brightness. Then the only way to change the brightness is with the light setting.
That's not what I'm asking about though. I want to continue using swiping to change brightness. I just want the lowest value to be 1% instead of 0%.