Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo touch firmware not updating since 2.5.2?

Hello, I would appreciate some advice... My touch hasn't updated since firmware 2.5.2 was released. Do you think that is normal or do I have a problem? Thank you!
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes it is. Kobo paused the updates of the Touch with 2.5.2. 3.0.0 was released last week. It is an update specifically for the Touch. The updates get rolled out over some time, so it might take some time to get to you, depending on where you are. If you are impatient, there are links in the Developers sub-forum to manually install the firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Hello, I would appreciate some advice... My touch hasn't updated since firmware 2.5.2 was released. Do you think that is normal or do I have a problem? Thank you!

If your Touch is just like my Glo, it won't update automatically. No matter how long you wait. It is much more efficient to use the Manual update posted by murg. The only downside I can see is that, you won't be able to update via sync ever as what some of the dev told.

Just a note: if you'll update Manually, make sure that the patch file you'll use is for your device. Also, never forget to backup. In case of problems, just post it in the forum and someone might help you out. Don't be afraid to tinker with your device. That's the beauty of linux, you own your device and you can do anything with it. Goodluck!
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernel1008 View Post
The only downside I can see is that, you won't be able to update via sync ever as what some of the dev told.
I don't know who told you this, but, there is nothing about manually installing the firmware that will stop an automatic update to a later version. While I am normally to impatient to wait, I have had at least one automatic update over a manual install.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know who told you this, but, there is nothing about manually installing the firmware that will stop an automatic update to a later version. While I am normally to impatient to wait, I have had at least one automatic update over a manual install.
I believe it was Sameer who posted about sideloading at your own risk. I don't remember reading any posts that specificaly stated future automatic updates might be blocked.

My experience with a very different device -- a production printer -- where the new updates were signed was that we had to do a factory reset to remove an interim update installed by a service tech before we could install the latest and greatest.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have generally sideloaded as I don't want to sync. But I have been able to upgrade both my mini and my Aura HD after sideloading when I was too impatient to wait for the file to be posted. Got the double shelf problem just last week dammit when I stupidly synched. Sideloading is safer in my experience.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote