Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Albyr
Enthusiast
Albyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using old Kindle as an eInk photo frame

I was sure someone would have figured out a way to do this already, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I have a K3 Kindle that I no longer need (the Voyage is on its way soon!). I've seen Kindles re-purposed as weather stations, but I'd like to use my K3 as a photo frame - just mount it nicely and have it scroll through pictures, changing automatically every five minutes or something. As I said above, I was sure somebody would already have code for this, but it doesn't look like it. There's lots of stuff about changing the screensaver/"cover", but nothing about using it as a photo frame.

Any thoughts?
Albyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albyr View Post
I was sure someone would have figured out a way to do this already, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I have a K3 Kindle that I no longer need (the Voyage is on its way soon!). I've seen Kindles re-purposed as weather stations, but I'd like to use my K3 as a photo frame - just mount it nicely and have it scroll through pictures, changing automatically every five minutes or something. As I said above, I was sure somebody would already have code for this, but it doesn't look like it. There's lots of stuff about changing the screensaver/"cover", but nothing about using it as a photo frame.

Any thoughts?
There might be an active content app available for the K3. Do a Google search on active content for the Kindle Keyboard. I think they came with an image viewer app installed, but I don't recall a slideshow option. Look under the Experimental section in the Menu.
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can use the screensaver cover work (the weather thing) as the base... I believe someone may have posted there about waking the kindle up at scheduled intervals to refresh the screensaver.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There might be an active content app available for the K3. Do a Google search on active content for the Kindle Keyboard. I think they came with an image viewer app installed, but I don't recall a slideshow option. Look under the Experimental section in the Menu.
I did look, but I can't find any active content app that does anything anywhere close to what I want. There isn't a slideshow option in the built-in image viewer unfortunately.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Any thoughts?
This would not be ideal, but the K3 has text to speech, so you could make a book that has the same images over and over again, turn the volume all the way down, and set it to be as slow as possible. The book would only have to have 1 copy of each image, so it shouldn't be much bigger than all the images together. It would probably stop at the end.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
This would not be ideal, but the K3 has text to speech, so you could make a book that has the same images over and over again, turn the volume all the way down, and set it to be as slow as possible. The book would only have to have 1 copy of each image, so it shouldn't be much bigger than all the images together. It would probably stop at the end.
This is a great idea, but I tried it and unfortunately it doesn't work. Kindle won't do text-to-speech for PDFs.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
This is a great idea, but I tried it and unfortunately it doesn't work. Kindle won't do text-to-speech for PDFs.
Mobi is what I had in mind. PDF didn't even occur to me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle photo