Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2024, 01:21 PM   #1
m_pluto
m_pluto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour
Libra Color KoboPatch Compatibility

I've done a couple searches and I haven't found anything definitively stating, but, but like it says in the title, I'm trying to find out if kobopatch is working with the Libra Color yet?
m_pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_pluto View Post
I've done a couple searches and I haven't found anything definitively stating, but, but like it says in the title, I'm trying to find out if kobopatch is working with the Libra Color yet?
In another thread here there are posts stating that patches from the previous version (4.38) are working fine on the Libra Colour. I have several patches applied that work. Apply the patches you like, they will either work or they won't. Patches specific to the LC aren't available yet.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2024, 04:23 PM   #3
jaydee34983
jaydee34983 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I'm wondering specifically if the following patch can be applied to Kobo Libra Colour (4.39.22861).

libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml

Thanks!
jaydee34983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:17 PM   #4
jaydee34983

Ignore previous comment. I'm fairly new here, but I'm trying it, but could use a little reassurance.

I've got the instructions from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356106

On Step 3, when it says to copy the firmware file to the src folder, it's referring to the "kobo-update-4.39.22861.zip" file, correct? (I use 4.39... version for the Libra Colour, not 4.38... version that matches the patch number, right?)

On Step 4, do I need to do this? It says to install the firmware if needed? I assume that since I'm already on 4.39..., I already have this and this step is unnecessary?)

On Step 5, I enable specific patches simply by opening the 'yaml' files in the 'src' folder with a text editor and replacing 'no' with 'yes', and that's it, right?
Old 06-10-2024, 06:39 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee34983 View Post
I'm wondering specifically if the following patch can be applied to Kobo Libra Colour (4.39.22861).

libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml

Thanks!
The .yaml file is not a patch, it is a compilation of many individual patches. Some will work, some may not. It depends on which ones are enabled (v4.38).
Advert
Old 06-10-2024, 06:47 PM   #6
m_pluto
m_pluto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour
So I just tried applying some patches from the nickel.yaml file and it basically crashed my ereader and it basically ended up reformatting itself/resetting itself. I had just spent almost an hour adding books from my library onto it....

I'm not sure which patch caused it, but when I have more time I'll try turning them off one at time and seeing what it was that caused it to crash.
m_pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:37 PM   #7
jaydee34983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The .yaml file is not a patch, it is a compilation of many individual patches. Some will work, some may not. It depends on which ones are enabled (v4.38).
The main one I want is "Hide Browser from Beta Features". Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2024, 09:28 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
The main one I want is "Hide Browser from Beta Features". Thoughts?
I've never used that patch. Again, you need to try it yourself and see if it works.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:39 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_pluto View Post
So I just tried applying some patches from the nickel.yaml file and it basically crashed my ereader and it basically ended up reformatting itself/resetting itself. I had just spent almost an hour adding books from my library onto it....

I'm not sure which patch caused it, but when I have more time I'll try turning them off one at time and seeing what it was that caused it to crash.
A patch, applied correctly, should not crash the device. If the patch fails for some reason, it simply doesn't make any changes. Did you ensure the software version and patch version referenced on the.yaml are exactly the same? If no, that can crash the ereader.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-10-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:21 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might to make sure you delete the KoboRoot.tgz from the out directory. If the process fails, the old one is left behind. You can check the log.txt file to see if any errors occurred. My modified batch file deletes both the KoboRoot.tgz and log.txt files before anything else is done. The original batch file did not remove both files. The reason for removing log.txt is to shorten the amount of text you have to read through.

Code:
@echo off
cd /D "%~dp0"
del out\KoboRoot.tgz >nul 2>&1
del out\log.txt >nul 2>&1
".\bin\koboptch-windows.exe"
Code:
version: 4.39.22861
in: src/kobo-update-4.39.22861.zip
out: out/KoboRoot.tgz
log: out/log.txt

Last edited by DNSB; 06-10-2024 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Edit: added first lines of kobopatch.yaml
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:45 AM   #11
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Ignore previous comment. I'm fairly new here, but I'm trying it, but could use a little reassurance.

I've got the instructions from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356106

On Step 3, when it says to copy the firmware file to the src folder, it's referring to the "kobo-update-4.39.22861.zip" file, correct? (I use 4.39... version for the Libra Colour, not 4.38... version that matches the patch number, right?)

On Step 4, do I need to do this? It says to install the firmware if needed? I assume that since I'm already on 4.39..., I already have this and this step is unnecessary?)

On Step 5, I enable specific patches simply by opening the 'yaml' files in the 'src' folder with a text editor and replacing 'no' with 'yes', and that's it, right?
We posted at the same time and I missed the questions.

Re Step3: Yes, using the .zip file with the version currently on your device is correct. Note: be sure you change any reference in the .yaml files (at the top) from 4.38.xxxxx to match the 4.39.xxxxx of the .zip file and current firmware. Use an editor such as Notepad++ (Notepad is not a suitable editor for this purpose)

Re Step 4: Correct. Example: A future update comes out along with patch updates for 4.40. Your device is still on 4.39 so you would have to first update your firmware then apply the patches for 4.40.

Re Step 5. Yes but use something like Notebook++ - a simple text editor won't suffice.

Note: To streamline the process for future updates and re-patching, you can keep all your prefered patches in one file (kobopatch.yaml) rather than having to go through the tedious exercise every time of enabling each individual patch. See this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350861

Last edited by Skydog; 06-11-2024 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:29 AM   #12
Falafelteller
Enthusiast
Falafelteller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Tolino Vision Color
I did apply several patched to my kobo colour, one did not work. BUT dropbox support disappeared when I applied the FW with the patches. Not that I need it, but it is gone.

Last edited by Falafelteller; 06-11-2024 at 02:37 AM.
Falafelteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:23 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've always used just Notepad without any issues. I don't even have Notepad++ installed.

Never understood why folks say you shouldn't use Notepad.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:51 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've always used just Notepad without any issues. I don't even have Notepad++ installed.

Never understood why folks say you shouldn't use Notepad.
Because notepad inserts CR and LF. Only windows, DOS and CP/M works like that for a newline. Potentially a FW update might not like that. Just about everything else uses only a LF character. Obviously a printer driven by ASCII needs CR and LF to go to start of a newline, so there was a certain logic to the CR and LF of CP/M, inherited by DOS (a copy of CP/M) and then Windows before NT (since 1993).

Notepad++ is free and Windows (NT) Notebook is rubbish, though not as bad as Win9x/ME/Win1 to 3.x Notebook which could only read 64K as if an 8 bit cpu.

EDIT:
CP/M may have copied DEC usage.
Multics in 1964 was the first to use LF only. A printer driver would add a CR.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-11-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:54 AM   #15
jaydee34983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Because notepad inserts CR and LF. Only windows, DOS and CP/M works like that for a newline. Potentially a FW update might not like that. Just about everything else uses only a LF character. Obviously a printer driven by ASCII needs CR and LF to go to start of a newline, so there was a certain logic to the CR and LF of CP/M, inherited by DOS (a copy of CP/M) and then Windows before NT (since 1993).

Notepad++ is free and Windows (NT) Notebook is rubbish, though not as bad as Win9x/ME/Win1 to 3.x Notebook which could only read 64K as if an 8 bit cpu.

EDIT:
CP/M may have copied DEC usage.
Multics in 1964 was the first to use LF only. A printer driver would add a CR.
If you want to be really cool, use a CLI-based Linux OS and edit with vi.