Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-17-2024, 06:22 PM   #1
a_librarian
a_librarian began at the beginning.

Device: PocketPook Touch HD 3
Sort multiple authors in a single book alphabetically?

So, I have a couple of books with 2, 3 or more authors in my Calibre library, and I am trying to find a way to sort these.
I have my author column sorted by [LastName, FirstName], and I would like to be able to (automatically) sort multiple authors in a book by their last name.

For example:
Author column of book 1 has 4 authors: W., S. & L., K. & B., P. & T. W.
Author column of book 2 has 3 authors: S., L. & N., M. & B. P.

Is there a way - with a plugin or via regex or whatever - to have that changed to
Book 1: B.P. & L.K. & T.W. & W.S.
Books 2: B.P. & N.M. & S.L.
without me having to do that manually for every single book?
a_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2024, 10:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not that I know of, you'd have to write such a plugin yourself. calibre itself preserves author order since it is sometimes important, for example, it indicates priority in academic publications.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2024, 12:05 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Here's an action chain that might do it. You'll need an extra step though:

1. Install Action Chains and import the file.

2. Pick a book to test it on and run it on that book.

3. Open the MDE and use the "set authors from author sort" (on a button to the right of the field).

I can't 100% guarantee you'll get expected results though. I'm also not sure if there's a way to bulk-set the authors from the sort.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SortByLastName.zip (430 Bytes, 18 views)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-18-2024 at 12:16 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 07:11 PM   #4
a_librarian
a_librarian began at the beginning.

Device: PocketPook Touch HD 3
Thank you for your fast answers! I'm afraid writing my own plugin is a bit beyond myself, but I'll try the action chain solution, that sounds very interesting!
a_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote