Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-27-2023, 03:25 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thumbs down Link to open book's data files folder

The "Link to open book's data files folder" isn't URL encoding spaces, every book folder name has at least one space.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It works exactly the same as the link to open the book folder, which has been the same for donkey's years. Neither of them use URLs at all on windows. They use paths, passed to a function similar to ShellExecute.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 04:41 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It works exactly the same as the link to open the book folder, which has been the same for donkey's years. Neither of them use URLs at all on windows. They use paths, passed to a function similar to ShellExecute.
Here's my 'test case":

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-27 180209.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	201314

Copy all the above links produced this:

Code:
Tome - Writer

calibre://show-book/_hex_-54657374/826
calibre://book-details/_hex_-54657374/826
file:///D:/Calibre/Libraries/Test/Writer/Tome (826)/data
calibre://view-book/_hex_-54657374/826/EPUB
calibre://view-book/_hex_-54657374/826/PDF
I can put the first, second, fourth, and fifth links into a Word document, a OneNote section, my decrepit sticky note gadget and they work… the third link doesn't

If I copy the URL from from the Data item in the Links custom column (which was created by the new Folder button) file:///D:/Calibre/Libraries/Test/Writer/Tome%20(826)/data I can use it in the same manner as the other 'Links'.

BR
Old 04-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No clue about copy link, I dont use and didnt implement that IIRC. And there is no requirement for spaces in URLs to be encoded, though I suppose I could encode them, although I am sure there will be some applications that wont work with encoded URLs but will with decoded ones. That was the whole reason I invented the hex encoding scheme for the calibre:// URLs.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-27-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c0d2ef88986e4e
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 05:58 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

URL encoding is a free-for-all dogs breakfast, there's no consistency.

Hex encoding of calibre:// links means they just work… every time, everywhere. For me it's the best new feature you've added to calibre over the decade or so I've been using it.

BR
Old 04-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Slight thread hijack on the data files..regarding the link..
Per 4.26.23 update to 6.17 : "Book details: Show a link to open the data files folder when data files are present"
I do not see a link for this. I understand this to be some indicator so you know that you have actual files in the new data folder. Otherwise, it's easy to not know or forget such files exist. I can't find any settings through preference or various right click to turn such a visual on either.

What am I missing?

Right now, I know I can add them. But after that there are no indicators that they exist. I can get to them with the "O" shortcut to open the entry's folder and see all it contains, but again that requires knowledge of the data folder existing.

I've had alternate ways of managing such data within the entry so far, but I am considering changes using this data folder feature instead. However, I need a quick indicator that such files are stored there.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #8
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Well, of course, after doing a lot of looking before posting, I found the answer AFTER posting ...
Answer is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=data+files
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote