Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Content server password shown in "add new user" dialog

On Windows 10 I notice that in the "Add new user" dialog in Preferences->Sharing over the net, with "Show Password" unchecked, what you type in the "Password" and "Repeat password" boxes is displayed normally as readable text until the box loses focus, at which point the readable text is replaced by a row of bullet characters (which I would have expected to appear as I typed, not just when the field loses focus).

I presume this is another (Windows?) QT quirk, and it's not a critical problem unless you try to add a new user with someone looking over your shoulder, but I thought I should point it out for future reference...
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not about focus. Basically, while you edit the password, it is displayed. Try opening the dialog again and you will see the existing password is obscured.

IIRC, the theory is that if someone can see your screen they can also see you press keys, so there is no point obscuring the password while editing it, and displaying it makes it easier to avoid mistakes while editing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's not about focus. Basically, while you edit the password, it is displayed. Try opening the dialog again and you will see the existing password is obscured.
Yes, I understand that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC, the theory is that if someone can see your screen they can also see you press keys, so there is no point obscuring the password while editing it, and displaying it makes it easier to avoid mistakes while editing.
OK. It's just completely different from the behaviour of every other password box I've ever seen, which never display the password visibly (hence the need to retype, to avoid mistakes while editing). For example, in any other (non-Qt) application, if I am giving a talk and using a projector, I don't have to worry about turning off the projector before I type my password.

But if that's the way it is with Qt password boxes, that's the way it is.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content server, password, security