Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Get ready for the newsstand in your hand

Get ready for the newsstand in your hand

Here is another article about the latest e-readers. I notice that the Edge got another bad review on size and weight.

Personally, I don't think a lot of people are seeing that the Edge is a move to the right on e-readers as a whole. I see the Edge as a way to make e-documents highly interactive. It is more than just being able to annotate a book.

Technologies such as the Edge and the Copia line, will make books stop being islands of information but instead be jumping boards for interaction. Not just interaction for classrooms but for everyone.

I think it will be neat to pick up a read, get myself immersed in it and then have right in my hands a natural way to extend the experience.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Just want to tag this as Entourage Edge.
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
As long as the eDge can do good displaying technical PDFs, I am fine with it. If I can do that then I can put up with its weight just fine. I am used to holding and reading books that are over 3 lbs. Not a big deal as long as the functionality is there, in my opinion.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Also, if Android takes off as expected, a whole bunch of cool applications for Android should be available soon. This would allow you to install a whole bunch of apps to extend its functionality, if that's what you want.

Also, it shouldn't be difficult to "hack" the eDGe and install the ARM version of Ubuntu that, while voiding your warranty, is a much more powerful operating system than Android.

Last edited by zetareticuli; 01-18-2010 at 04:36 PM.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
paulckennedy
Addict

I am looking at developing for Android. I can't wait to get my hands on their SDK so that I can play with the E-Ink panel and their Library.
Advert