Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Businessweek: Microsoft’s Lag Time to IPad Leaves HP, Dell Looking Elsewhere

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...elsewhere.html

Quote:
Microsoft Corp.’s failure to deliver a tablet-friendly version of Windows is forcing big computer makers like Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc. to rely on rival software to help them keep up with Apple Inc.’s iPad.

Windows 7, the most recent version of Microsoft’s operating system, is too unwieldy for an iPad-like device, said David Daoud, an analyst at IDC. A lighter edition won’t be ready until the fourth quarter, giving Apple almost a year’s head start in the burgeoning market for tablets.
Very curious to see how HP leverages the WebOS IP for tablets.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
No kidding. I absolutely love webOS and can see it easily become successful in the tablet market. Just pair it with some decent hardware and watch the fireworks.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
No kidding. I absolutely love webOS and can see it easily become successful in the tablet market. Just pair it with some decent hardware and watch the fireworks.
I registered and played around with their Ares online developer tools/simulator when it was released-really fun stuff.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I hear it's not hard at all to develop apps for webOS, so long as you have a decent understanding of HTML and JavaScript.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Why not use Android? After all, isn't a tablet just a big smartphone?
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranananda View Post
Pretty much, but HP won't use Android. They just bought out Palm who developed webOS. It would be crazy to dump that property in favor of Android.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...elsewhere.html

Yes I also have high hopes, but I also recognize that HP quite being innovative years ago.

Right now Android seems to have all of the innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranananda View Post
This was my biggest fear with the iPad success. People would no longer consider tables as a full functional device but a big smartphone. What I want is a tablet PC at the lower cost.
The one saving grace for me is these OS are becoming more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Pretty much, but HP won't use Android. They just bought out Palm who developed webOS. It would be crazy to dump that property in favor of Android.
HP was working on several android devices before the buy out, so unless HP changes it's policies we should see a few Android devices.

Also HP is a hardware company so long as there is a demand for Android devices HP will produce Android enabled devices.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
WebOS is considered by many to have the best mobile OS UI.

So, the Android crowd should be happy to hear the headline "webOS UI designer to join Google’s Android team":

"All Things Digital/Digital Daily is reporting that Matias Duarte, Palm’s senior director of human interface and user experience who was largely responsible for webOS, has left Palm HP, and will be joining Google’s Android team. His official position over at Google will be: “User Experience Director for Android.""
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I really don't understand why Windows 7 is too unwieldy. I have an Archos 9, which is a bit under-speced but otherwise does just fine. When I want a keyboard I pair it with a bluetooth keyboard that has a trackpad built in so I've got the best of both worlds. When browsing, I use just the little optical mouse and mouse keys built into the unit.

It seems to work fine for me - just needs another generation to get the specs up more.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
WebOS is considered by many to have the best mobile OS UI.

So, the Android crowd should be happy to hear the headline "webOS UI designer to join Google’s Android team":

"All Things Digital/Digital Daily is reporting that Matias Duarte, Palm’s senior director of human interface and user experience who was largely responsible for webOS, has left Palm HP, and will be joining Google’s Android team. His official position over at Google will be: “User Experience Director for Android.""
And Rich Dellinger left Palm for Apple:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...llinger-2010-6
Quote:
Here's what Rich did at Palm according to his LinkedIn resume:
Acted as visual designer, interaction designer, and engineer on Palm webOS.
Co-developed the Application Framework used by webOS. Created the CSS structure and defined HTML layout and structure conventions in Mojo Application Framework, and for core Palm applications.
Co-invented software and hardware interaction models for a new generation of Linux-based, Palm-branded mobile devices.
Created icon suite for Palm, Sprint, and other partner applications for webOS 1.0.
Invented the non-intrusive banner notification system used in webOS
Provided high-resolution renderings of the final product for Marketing to use in ad campaigns
Created the interaction and visual design for a suite of media applications for Palm OS 5, combining media browsing, content sharing and video/image capture into a integrated user experience